Automatic Gate Opener

/ Automatic Gate Opener #11  
We've chosen to use a Liftmaster Elite 240V pad-mount opener. It uses scissor action rather that the typical hydraulic arm.

I don't know of any opener that uses hydraulics. The ones your are likely thinking about are a linear actuator. They work pretty much the same way a trailer jack works.

I picked up lift master 3 button remotes and RX's and installed them to operate the garage, shop and gate with one remote. I also have a keypad mounted on a post outside the gate so you can drive up, roll down the window and enter code.

Mount your solar panel so it gets good sun once there are leaves on the trees. one other thing I did was mount a side marker light so when the gate is operating I can tell, even in the dark.

/ Automatic Gate Opener #12  
I hope the pillars are reinforced!! That's a lot of weight for that masonry to handle.

View attachment 305803

View attachment 305804

View attachment 305805

The pad will be at least 24"x28"x16"+ deep. Ive thought about mounting the keypad to that tree along side the drive, but im not sold on that yet.

We are required to have a KnoxLock on the outside for emergency personnel entrance. Ive heard stories where a house burned b/c a resident didnt pay their annual dues to the local fire district. The FD still came out to the fire (to keep it from burning the neighbor's house down.) I would think if you didnt follow code and get a permit and your house burned b/c the FD didnt put it out, your homeowners insurance might be a bit P.O.'d....

/ Automatic Gate Opener
Jimbrown said:
Wow a 240v solar package. That has got to be big and costly.

Ive noticed that all the nice, gated communities had one thing in common with their gates; they all used the Elite openers. The mfc says rated for 1million cycles plus and a 7 year residential warranty. We had checked into them last year but were compromising if we didnt go w/ the Elite. My quotes last year were upwards of $5k and it wasnt in solar. Now the quotes are lower this year and solar is an option.

http://www.liftmaster.com/lmcv2/pages/productmodeldetail.aspx?modelId=9713

/ Automatic Gate Opener #15  
Ive noticed that all the nice, gated communities had one thing in common with their gates; they all used the Elite openers. The mfc says rated for 1million cycles plus and a 7 year residential warranty. We had checked into them last year but were compromising if we didnt go w/ the Elite. My quotes last year were upwards of $5k and it wasnt in solar. Now the quotes are lower this year and solar is an option.

http://www.liftmaster.com/lmcv2/pages/productmodeldetail.aspx?modelId=9713

I noticed on the MFC site that the solar version qualifies for a 30% federal tax credit. Good deal for you. Rick

/ Automatic Gate Opener #16  
So, I see these metal/steel gates with a coded entry. What's to keep the bad guy intruder from just driving through the wooden fence???

/ Automatic Gate Opener #17  
Bad guys stay on the paved areas. I worked for a major garage door factory in the test lab at one time. The liftmaster was a heck of a long lasting opener. I would buy one of their old products in a minute. The problem is that many companies decide that the million opening standard is to costly to build. What can we do to reduce the cost and settle for 500,000 operations. Stanley used to make openers about 1mile from me. They followed this thinking and have been gone for 10 years or more.

Last edited:
   / Automatic Gate Opener #18  
what do these units cost?

/ Automatic Gate Opener
edlegault said:
So, I see these metal/steel gates with a coded entry. What's to keep the bad guy intruder from just driving through the wooden fence???

In my case, the trees on either side make it difficult to navigate My 12 gauge pump makes sure they dont live to tell about it.

These units start about $1700 online, solar package another $300, and the accessories.

/ Automatic Gate Opener #20  
Dont know about the others but my fence is all steel. Guess if I were wanting in I would just disconnect the opener from the gate and open the gate.

In gated communities you would just follow someone else in.

I also have an infrared motion sensors that transmit back to the house so I know when someone or something is moving around. So if your an intruder or bad guy breaking into my property will only be the start of your problems.

It's a deterrent, doesn't turn your property into Fort Knox. Good thing most crooked people are lazy.