Automatic Gate Opener

/ Automatic Gate Opener
They make a locking pin so its not as easy to just disconnect it. I know nothing is IMPOSSIBLE but some are more difficult than others to remove. These days, an 18V battery-powered grinder is cheaper and easily accessible to thiefs.

/ Automatic Gate Opener #22  
Don"t go making it impossible or difficult for you to disconnect.

Say you get a foot of snow on the ground and want to make sure everything swings freely so you don't mess up the opener, the weather won't likely be the same as when you install.

A regular lock works fine but a bolt rigged up to appear welded is a bigger obstacle to anyone that likely already has a set of bolt cutters.

/ Automatic Gate Opener #23  
Don"t go making it impossible or difficult for you to disconnect.

Say you get a foot of snow on the ground and want to make sure everything swings freely so you don't mess up the opener, the weather won't likely be the same as when you install.

A regular lock works fine but a bolt rigged up to appear welded is a bigger obstacle to anyone that likely already has a set of bolt cutters.

Should not need to do that. Mine has a switch you just flick and it disconnects the motor brakes and it swings free.

/ Automatic Gate Opener #24  
Sooner or later im going to install an automatic opener on the gate i built. Its 14' and about 500#, but opens very smoothy. I dont want a piston opener. I plan on installing a pad mount unit also, but too many other expenses right now. \

Some day ill get around to installing it. P7261323.JPG

/ Automatic Gate Opener #25  
Sooner or later im going to install an automatic opener on the gate i built. Its 14' and about 500#, but opens very smoothy. I dont want a piston opener. I plan on installing a pad mount unit also, but too many other expenses right now. \

Some day ill get around to installing it.View attachment 306064

Neat gate! You do that yourself?

/ Automatic Gate Opener #27  
Oops! Sometimes it pays to read the text, no just gawk at the pictures.

yup...built it a few years ago. Had to make and install a 1/4" thick 5" x5" post and have it powder coated white to match the vinyl fence and still be able to hold the gate up without a wheel or a torsion wire. The gate swings freely.

/ Automatic Gate Opener
Got the forms built and in place. Now ready to mix concrete tomorrow for the pad. Got a buddy that might stop by to help for a while. Heres a shot of my gate and my progress. You can see "little mans" shovel that i got him. We used his other one in our flower beds, that was until i backed over it with the tractor and bent it in two.

ForumRunner_20130302_170407.png

ForumRunner_20130302_170453.png

ForumRunner_20130302_170532.png

/ Automatic Gate Opener #29  
thanks for the pictures

/ Automatic Gate Opener #30  
View attachment 305803

View attachment 305804

View attachment 305805

The pad will be at least 24"x28"x16"+ deep. Ive thought about mounting the keypad to that tree along side the drive, but im not sold on that yet.

We are required to have a KnoxLock on the outside for emergency personnel entrance. Ive heard stories where a house burned b/c a resident didnt pay their annual dues to the local fire district. The FD still came out to the fire (to keep it from burning the neighbor's house down.) I would think if you didnt follow code and get a permit and your house burned b/c the FD didnt put it out, your homeowners insurance might be a bit P.O.'d....

I don't know what soil type you have at your place but I would make the pad significantly deeper than 16". In fact I would drill a hole below frost line under it and use few rebars to anchor the pad to it.
My gate is light "farm gate" hinged on about 10-12" post that goes 5 feet in ground and the opener turned the post small angle with every opening or closing. I had to anchor the post to the next post to stop it.
Wish you success with your project.
Ladia