Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Tractor
    JD 3203

They make a locking pin so its not as easy to just disconnect it. I know nothing is IMPOSSIBLE but some are more difficult than others to remove. These days, an 18V battery-powered grinder is cheaper and easily accessible to thiefs.
    Poor timing and lack of planning on your part do not constitute an emergency on my part!

JD 3203, 300 series loader, Frontier rotary cutter, Frontier boxblade, quick-attach bucket, Polaris Sportsman 600, Cub Cadet lawn tractor

Gold Member

Default Re: Automatic Gate Opener

Don"t go making it impossible or difficult for you to disconnect.

Say you get a foot of snow on the ground and want to make sure everything swings freely so you don't mess up the opener, the weather won't likely be the same as when you install.

A regular lock works fine but a bolt rigged up to appear welded is a bigger obstacle to anyone that likely already has a set of bolt cutters.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    KIOTI LK30

Quote Originally Posted by jwmorris View Post
    Don"t go making it impossible or difficult for you to disconnect.

Say you get a foot of snow on the ground and want to make sure everything swings freely so you don't mess up the opener, the weather won't likely be the same as when you install.

A regular lock works fine but a bolt rigged up to appear welded is a bigger obstacle to anyone that likely already has a set of bolt cutters.
    Should not need to do that. Mine has a switch you just flick and it disconnects the motor brakes and it swings free.

Tractor
    dk45se hst cab

Sooner or later im going to install an automatic opener on the gate i built. Its 14' and about 500#, but opens very smoothy. I dont want a piston opener. I plan on installing a pad mount unit also, but too many other expenses right now. \

Some day ill get around to installing it.-p7261323-jpg
    currently own
    2011 Kioti DK45SE HST CAB tractor/loader, Jimna 6" - 3 point wood chipper, 60" JD Brush Hog, JD 60" Rototiller, 3 point post hole digger with hydraulic assist, 3 point spring tooth rake, Fimco 55 gallon weed sprayer with 12 foot boom, 3 point hydraulic wood splitter (home built)
    Quick Attach 79" loader mount snowblower & rear powerpack
    Quick Attach 84" Snow Blade
    Quick Attach 42" pallet forks

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 4300

Quote Originally Posted by grsthegreat View Post
    Sooner or later im going to install an automatic opener on the gate i built. Its 14' and about 500#, but opens very smoothy. I dont want a piston opener. I plan on installing a pad mount unit also, but too many other expenses right now. \

Some day ill get around to installing it.-p7261323-jpg
    Neat gate! You do that yourself?

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 4300

Quote Originally Posted by TCJatko View Post
    Neat gate! You do that yourself?
    Oops! Sometimes it pays to read the text, no just gawk at the pictures.

Tractor
    dk45se hst cab

Quote Originally Posted by TCJatko View Post
    Oops! Sometimes it pays to read the text, no just gawk at the pictures.
    yup...built it a few years ago. Had to make and install a 1/4" thick 5" x5" post and have it powder coated white to match the vinyl fence and still be able to hold the gate up without a wheel or a torsion wire. The gate swings freely.
    currently own
    2011 Kioti DK45SE HST CAB tractor/loader, Jimna 6" - 3 point wood chipper, 60" JD Brush Hog, JD 60" Rototiller, 3 point post hole digger with hydraulic assist, 3 point spring tooth rake, Fimco 55 gallon weed sprayer with 12 foot boom, 3 point hydraulic wood splitter (home built)
    Quick Attach 79" loader mount snowblower & rear powerpack
    Quick Attach 84" Snow Blade
    Quick Attach 42" pallet forks

Tractor
    JD 3203

Got the forms built and in place. Now ready to mix concrete tomorrow for the pad. Got a buddy that might stop by to help for a while. Heres a shot of my gate and my progress. You can see "little mans" shovel that i got him. We used his other one in our flower beds, that was until i backed over it with the tractor and bent it in two.

-forumrunner_20130302_170407-png

-forumrunner_20130302_170453-png

-forumrunner_20130302_170532-png
    Poor timing and lack of planning on your part do not constitute an emergency on my part!

JD 3203, 300 series loader, Frontier rotary cutter, Frontier boxblade, quick-attach bucket, Polaris Sportsman 600, Cub Cadet lawn tractor

Tractor
    Kub - 2K6, B7800

thanks for the pictures
    ** Kubota **

Psalms 86
    John 1:12-13

Duraflap / Kaydenco not worth a hoot for service or products.

"Google" is a proper noun, not a verb.

If you mean what you say, then say what you mean, or just don't say anything

Elite Member Redneck in training's Avatar
    Tractor
    TYM 330 HST with FEL

Quote Originally Posted by RxRatedZ71 View Post
    Attachment 305803

Attachment 305804

Attachment 305805

The pad will be at least 24"x28"x16"+ deep. Ive thought about mounting the keypad to that tree along side the drive, but im not sold on that yet.

We are required to have a KnoxLock on the outside for emergency personnel entrance. Ive heard stories where a house burned b/c a resident didnt pay their annual dues to the local fire district. The FD still came out to the fire (to keep it from burning the neighbor's house down.) I would think if you didnt follow code and get a permit and your house burned b/c the FD didnt put it out, your homeowners insurance might be a bit P.O.'d....
    I don't know what soil type you have at your place but I would make the pad significantly deeper than 16". In fact I would drill a hole below frost line under it and use few rebars to anchor the pad to it.
    My gate is light "farm gate" hinged on about 10-12" post that goes 5 feet in ground and the opener turned the post small angle with every opening or closing. I had to anchor the post to the next post to stop it.
    Wish you success with your project.
    Ladia

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast