Automatic Gate Opener

/ Automatic Gate Opener #1  

RxRatedZ71

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 3203
Today I ordered an automatic gate opener to be installed on our property. We've needed on for 5 years but havent wanted to compromise in quality so we opted to wait. Our gate is a 14'8 wrought iron gate custom built by a local welder in the area. We bricked around the posts shortly after install and then learned that this limits our options of openers that we can use. Also, we have to have solar since we're too far from a power source.

We've chosen to use a Liftmaster Elite 240V pad-mount opener. It uses scissor action rather that the typical hydraulic arm. I agreed to pour the pad to help with costs. We are going with a keypad entrance and exit. Stay tuned for some pics of the project...

/ Automatic Gate Opener #2  
Will you have a remote for your vehicals. Do you have any pics of your custom gate. thanks

Dave

/ Automatic Gate Opener
We will have 3 remotes for our vehicles, 2 entry/exit keypads, and then a KnoxLock for fire & emergency personnel. Its required by code for our area. I would hate to think what could possibly happen if they couldnt gain access. I read about a house burning one time b/c a residence didnt pay their dues to the local fire district. The trucks came out to protect their neighbors homes from burning but not theirs. Also, i would think that your homeowners policy might have an unfavorable opinion about that also.
Ill try to get some pics up...

/ Automatic Gate Opener #4  
I just bought a Mighty Mule Double Opener today for $599. plus tax at TSC for the gate in the pic.
I have had one from Harbor Freight for about 8 years but the codes for the remotes got messed up and I couldn't get it to work for the last 4 years. :(
A lot of my neighbors have Mule Openers and they don't have problems with them.
I will have remotes, key pad and a push button in the house.

Attachments

• 000_0570.JPG
    000_0570.JPG
    447.4 KB · Views: 763
   / Automatic Gate Opener #5  
Thanks for the picture

/ Automatic Gate Opener #6  
I like the separate pad when it can be used. The newer ones have memory that has soft open and soft close, wonderful.

On your key pads, I encourage my customers to allow me to place them where they can't be operated from the vehicle, security thing.

I'm pricing a replacement set of Byan hydraulic closers for a client. I installed the gates with operators twenty (20) years ago and now he is having issues. They were the best available then and according to the pricing, best available now. Four weeks and more than some operators cost would allow the customer to have these rebuilt. We will replace instead.

Twenty years, tough enough.

/ Automatic Gate Opener #7  
I'm curious, why would you not want to opperate, from a vehical, wouldn't getting out of a vehical, to enter a code, be a risk at night? Sounds like you have been doing this for more than 20 Years, I'm sure there is a good reason. thanks

Dave

/ Automatic Gate Opener
ForumRunner_20130228_111042.png

ForumRunner_20130228_111151.png

ForumRunner_20130228_111304.png

The pad will be at least 24"x28"x16"+ deep. Ive thought about mounting the keypad to that tree along side the drive, but im not sold on that yet.

We are required to have a KnoxLock on the outside for emergency personnel entrance. Ive heard stories where a house burned b/c a resident didnt pay their annual dues to the local fire district. The FD still came out to the fire (to keep it from burning the neighbor's house down.) I would think if you didnt follow code and get a permit and your house burned b/c the FD didnt put it out, your homeowners insurance might be a bit P.O.'d....