Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tractor
    1976 Deutz 3006 1962 John Deere 1010

Default Re: Building a 24x24 pole barn for tractor

still putting this together in my head. It looks like a 24x30 is what I will need. Can I space my poles 10 foot. The lumber yard near me has 6x6 or 4x6. My biggest concern is how hard will it be to stand up a 6x6x14. I don't have a bucket on my tractor. It would be a build by me and my 13 year old and maybe some help from a 16 year old nephew. I know I can build it but just don't know if we can stand up the poles. Also do you guys suggest concreting the holes are fill with dirt. Seems to me people have gotten away from concreting them. Rick

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 1533

What started as a pole shed has turned into an eventual ~960 sq ft house....

Will add lean-tos later, but this building is currently 24' x 40' to give you an idea. Used 8x8s for poles. Pops took my beer budget and is trying to turn it into a champagne one

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/p...y-begun-6.html
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "The greatest shortcoming of the human race is our inability to understand the exponential function." -
    Prof. Al Bartlett

Any person is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts and outcomes. So one may believe as they will, but will be held accountable by the numbers for their beliefs. At the end of the day, life is a school of probability. Jesse via Jesse's Cafe Americain

Red Clay Country, GA & Mississippi Prarie
    Tractor
    JD 2210

Rick, my neighbor put his poles straight in ground, no concrete. He told me he checked with engineer, and he said it was just as strong here in our GA red clay. Maybe like schools did, go with 8x8.

Hey, quick, up in Rhode Island, can you post some pics of what you're describing? That sounds like a good barn. Also, Rick, man, make that thing as BIG as you can! Kicking myself many times for only making my shop/office 24x32 when I built it in '92. Now, I need another roof on my place!!
    "He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive". Dirt, it's nothing but dirt, I tell ye...
    "I thought I was wrong one time, but I was mistaken." Command Sergeant Major Jim
    "I wouldn't want to be within 400 or 500 yards of one of them newfangled nuclear bombs when it went off!" WW1 Vet...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12