Moving a cargo container

/ Moving a cargo container #1  

avorancher

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B7800, RTV900
Waiting for my B7800 to come next week (new to tractoring). Any ideas on how I can slide, pull, or drag an 8x20x8 steel cargo container about 1000 feet on a smooth dirt road. Tare weight is 5225 lbs, fairly smooth bottom. I'm not sure if the little Kubota is up to the task, especially during the break-in period. My Tacoma 4wd pickup moved it about 12 inches before breaking traction (no weight in it and no lifting force applied).

/ Moving a cargo container #2  
Get your local towing company to pull it onto one of their rollback trucks......Most towing outfits have super duty flatbed low profile trucks these days and 5000# is very do-able on one of those. If you were in ohio and local I'd do it for less than $75 on my truck........as long as the road was decent it should be a cake job for someone with a proper truck...........TOM

/ Moving a cargo container #3  
I have seen the rollbacks move them and that is the way I would go as well. Not worth the effort and wear and tear on the road and my 1 ton truck to lug this thing for 1000 ft.

If I only had say 100 ft. to go I would jack the container up and roll it on top of the 8 telephone poles that I have in my yard (waiting for pole barn). But 1000 ft. would take forever swapping the poles and pulling with the truck.

/ Moving a cargo container
Rollback was the way it was delivered. They had to drop it where it is because they couldn't negotiate a couple tight turns. The truck nearly tipped over once and the driver turned white and asked if he could just drop it as far as he could safely get. I had to agree after seeing how top-heavy things looked.

I'd rather keep it low. The drive where is it sitting is smooth and wide, but where I actually want to evidently get to is not so easy.

I've been thinking about 8 metal pipes and doing the pyramid thing using the tractor.

/ Moving a cargo container #5  
Like I said I'd do with the poles, the pipes will work. The down side is it is going to be SLOOOOOOOW.

good luck!

/ Moving a cargo container #7  
I'll still go with the tow company idea but suggest something a bit bigger. Get hold of a heavy duty towing and recovery outfit. These are the boys who pull rolled semi's up mountainsides after they failed to negotiate a turn and right things like tipped fire trucks. Moving your 5200 pound box would be a piece of cake for them and they can probably put it exactly where you want it with an extendable boom.

If I were you I'd make sure I emphasized that I want them to do this as "fill" work and don't really care when it's done so as to avoid as many charges as possible.

Good luck with whatever you decide. I hope this helps. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Moving a cargo container
Thanks for the tip about avoiding extra charges. I'll check out some local big-rig towing companies.

This winter, I'll have a dozer up here to push in another road and I can have them drag it to where I want it. In the shorter term, I just need to get it off my drive.

/ Moving a cargo container #9  
I have a couple of those containers. Run an axle thru the forklift openings on the side of the container and installed the tires. Make a tongue on the front of the container and pull it slowly with your tractor. The axle can be a heavy duty pipe with spacers to keep the tires from rubbing the container. Boat trailer tires will work. In other words, make it like a trailer.

/ Moving a cargo container #10  
1. Use the Tacoma, locker in 4wd low and pull in reverse.
2. Jack up the container, roll a log/utility pole underneath and drag it unil you reach the end and repeat the process, and you can do this with the Tacoma or tractor.