Build a set of steel wheels Save my rubber

/ Build a set of steel wheels Save my rubber #11  
Google Amish tractor steel wheels

/ Build a set of steel wheels Save my rubber #12  
Back when, few rural roads were paved, so it was no big deal to take to a dirt road with a steel wheeled tractor.

Also, most farms were pretty small at the time, so you probably didn't have far to travel.

Distances, paved roads, and comfort have made rubber tires attractive. Traction vs. safety has already been commented on.

Good point raised, check with a local or online Steam Equipment club, they've been down this road.... ;)

Rgds, D.

/ Build a set of steel wheels Save my rubber
i`ve seen old tractors that were like that from the factory ! Looks great to me ! Rubber on steel !

/ Build a set of steel wheels Save my rubber #14  
Steel wheels is backward thinking. Search for videos of old steel wheel tractors and watch how rough they ride.

/ Build a set of steel wheels Save my rubber #15  
Loggers in the Northwest use rubber on the loaders and skidders in the roughest ground imaginable. Don't bother with the steel.
R1 tires have a thin sidewall which may cause problems. Industrial tires should work better.

/ Build a set of steel wheels Save my rubber #16  
Steel seems like a waste of money and time. For what they will cost you new rubber can be had.

Chris

/ Build a set of steel wheels Save my rubber #18  
I've talked to a few farmers that used to farm with steel wheeled tractors. They said the steel wheels were more dangerous than the rubber tires. If a hidden tall stump or rock is hit with a rear steel wheel it would flip the tractor without warning. Rubber tires are much more forgiving here.

/ Build a set of steel wheels Save my rubber #19  
If you desire Steel Wheels make a set. Just don't throw your rubber away.:thumbsup:

/ Build a set of steel wheels Save my rubber #20  
I bet it would ride about like my MC, rougher than he!!. Would be interesting though.