Build a set of steel wheels Save my rubber

/ Build a set of steel wheels Save my rubber #1  

KingDelta5

Tractor
John Deere 790 1949 cub 1975 cub 1948 super A 1950 super A 1967 140 High Clear
I am thinking I would like to build a set of steel wheels for my jd 790 .
I am in the process of clearing some land and i know i am gonna get whats coming to me .
I could aquire a spare set of rims and some steel and fabricate a set . Never the less ! I think a set of steel wheels would be great in the woods and fields . My only worry is the shock load imposed on the tractor for lack of cushion of the tires . But shock load might be minimal . Especialy on dirt It has been done before and i wonder why you never see steel wheels now ? might save a lot on tires

/ Build a set of steel wheels Save my rubber #2  
Do you think you will have a problem with thorns are sharp objects of some sort? If I was concerned about that I would put foam or something in the tires so they wouldn't go flat before I would go steel. I doubt you would ever want to go on the road with steel.
There has to be a reason nobody goes with steel anymore, maybe it's just not a good idea.

/ Build a set of steel wheels Save my rubber
Thorns stumps and stobs oh yea ! And no tellin what ! I don`t think i`ll ever go on the road with my tractor . It might be we don`t see steel wheels because it would be bad for tire manufactures ! If they are really not needed . I seen a ad for ford tractors during ww2 Ford sold steel wheels as a primary option because ot the shortage of rubber for the war effort ! Might work great on dirt except for a bumpier ride ? Oh yes ! I`m planning on keeping my normal rims and tires ! It is just that I think steel wheels might be a good option when you know you gonna get whats comming to ya ! Another thing it might be is steel wheels do play **** with roads !

Last edited:
   / Build a set of steel wheels Save my rubber #4  
The amish run steel around here in some of their equipment. I dunno if its a religious thing or what. The only thing I would very strongly caution you about is remembering that Rubber tires slip a little bit when they catch a root. A steel tread will not let go unless it tears through something. You might be looking at the sky or 180* the oher directions very very quickly. I think it could be done, but as deere suggested, I would look into foam filled tires and possibly some ring chains like the skidders use?

/ Build a set of steel wheels Save my rubber #5  
Maybe the guys at the local junkyard or landfill might have some suggestions. I see these types of wheels constantly in these applications.

/ Build a set of steel wheels Save my rubber #6  
Any steam engine clubs in your area. They would also possibly be a good resource for information on steel wheels. I think you will find that steel wheels will slip a slide on hard surfaces like rocks, tree branches, etc. faster than rubber tires will.

/ Build a set of steel wheels Save my rubber #7  
I would foam fill your current wheels before I went with steel. They will ride much better and wont slip on hard surfaces.

Aaron Z

/ Build a set of steel wheels Save my rubber #9  
I would foam fill your current wheels before I went with steel. They will ride much better and wont slip on hard surfaces.

Aaron Z

X's 2, I've used the "Green slim" and had super results clearing mesquite trees. Cheaper than steel these days anyhoo.