Grey water drain

/ Grey water drain
Run it to a buried collector with a pump connected to a float switch and have it water the lawn/garden. The collector could be a 55gal poly drum and you already have fittings. Would also let some of the sediment settle. Just make sure you can clean it out from time to time.

Now we are talking!! You guys are a huge help. I'm going to buy a 275 gallon water tote, plumb in my 2" pipe and a 4" drain water pipe from run off from my drive way, and use the opening in the top to drop in a submersible pump to water my garden or back yard periodically. Now here is my question. Should I put something, some sort of substrate in the bottom of the tote to capture whatever may come through the pipe such as lint, detergent, or any thing else that may come through the pump of the washer or storm drain? I'm going to screen off the drain entry for the run off storm water so nothing can enter. I will periodically clean the bottom of the tank to remove whatever may get into the system. I will also plumb in an overflow pipe just in case the system backs up it will over run instead of backing up in the house. Thoughts on this plan?

/ Grey water drain #12  
Probably keep the pump a couple inches off the bottom and have screen around it at least 2-4in away from the pump inlet to help keep lint out of the pump.

/ Grey water drain
Good idea! Thinking I may remove the pump after each use or after the growing season is over to avoid sedimentation of the pump. I'll probably use a screen though.

/ Grey water drain #14  
I would keep it as simple as possible. No gravel, no sleeves and for sure, no pump or storage tank that will require maintanance and upkeep, Just run it out to an area far enough out in the woods where it will water the plants and forget about it.

Why make it complicated?

Eddie

/ Grey water drain
I would keep it as simple as possible. No gravel, no sleeves and for sure, no pump or storage tank that will require maintanance and upkeep, Just run it out to an area far enough out in the woods where it will water the plants and forget about it.

Why make it complicated?

Eddie

Well I don't really have woods to run it into without it getting on my neighbors land. I also want to use
it to water my garden. Shouldn't be very complicated. Should i use gravel around the tank or just pack dirt?

/ Grey water drain #16  
Now we are talking!! You guys are a huge help. I'm going to buy a 275 gallon water tote, plumb in my 2" pipe and a 4" drain water pipe from run off from my drive way, and use the opening in the top to drop in a submersible pump to water my garden or back yard periodically. Now here is my question. Should I put something, some sort of substrate in the bottom of the tote to capture whatever may come through the pipe such as lint, detergent, or any thing else that may come through the pump of the washer or storm drain? I'm going to screen off the drain entry for the run off storm water so nothing can enter. I will periodically clean the bottom of the tank to remove whatever may get into the system. I will also plumb in an overflow pipe just in case the system backs up it will over run instead of backing up in the house. Thoughts on this plan?

If you are bound and determined to use a pump, either get a good filter for the pump or get a trash pump. There are a lot of suspended solids in laundry waste water and it will trash a normal pump very quickly.

Also grey water is not recommended for watering gardens with edible vegetables/fruits in them. It is okay for fruit trees, but should not be used for plants where there is a chance between direct contact between the grey water and the edible part of the plant.

/ Grey water drain
First I've heard about not using grey water in a garden. I figure a good bit of sediment would settle out in the tank. Must of the sources I've seen say grey water is safe unless using bleach or washing diapers. Am I missing something? I was planning on using a trash pump. The one I've been looking at says it will safely pass a 5/8" sediment. I'll keep the pump off the bottom to avoid sucking up trash.

/ Grey water drain #18  
I currently have a grey water exit on my house. House was orginally plumbed so that the grey water air gapped to the floor drain in the basement. Except the clay tile that runs from the floor drain in the basement is crushed and only drains very slowly (out the back of the hill). So instead i re-plumbed to daylight at the face of the back hill leading away from the house.

Grey water empties out and simply runs down the hill. Chickens love it and by no means does it pool or stink or cause any issues even in winter (no iceing issues)

Oh and mine is plumbed in 3" solid PVC

Last edited:
   / Grey water drain
Mine is 2" coming out of the house, so I figure I'll stick with the 2" pipe. Save a little money there. I also may use a 55 gal drum instead of the 275 gal tank. I got the back hoe reserved and it looks like good weather. I'll take some pictures and post up what I do. Thanks again everyone!

/ Grey water drain #20  
Mine is 2" coming out of the house, so I figure I'll stick with the 2" pipe. Save a little money there. I also may use a 55 gal drum instead of the 275 gal tank. I got the back hoe reserved and it looks like good weather. I'll take some pictures and post up what I do. Thanks again everyone!

I have a similar system where I capture effluent from the washing machine for use in the garden during dry spells. I got a couple of food-grade 55 gallon barrels from the dump (free), and hooked up the washer to pump into them. I use a shallow well pump to pump uphill to the garden. Be advised the water will stink pretty badly if you don't use it in two or three days.