Not my day

/ Not my day #1  

robbyr

Elite Member
Tractor
ford and mahindra
Soooo. The tractor is Mahindra 4500. The backhoe is Bush hog 852. My FIL always used to get me to help him when he needed to hook up or unhook the backhoe cuz its a real booger. He passed away in 2010 and had the backhoe sitting on some cinder blocks but it had fallen over. So one weekend I tinker around and get it upright and took some doing but managed to get it on the tractor. Since its a pain I decided to leave it on tractor as long as I could which was about a year until I needed the PHD.
Fast forward to today. Trying to expose some drain pipe to see if there is a grease trap. Decide to put backhoe on tractor. Up and down off tractor trying to line up 3pt arms. Finally get one pin in. Had to ease forward a bit and finally get the other arm on only to find out the toplink won't reach (its a solid bar). Undo it all start over again. Backed up, got the toplink on, then ease forward and manage to get the pins in after a few up and down trips to see when holes line up.
All of this to say I probably spent thirty minutes or so trying to hook the durned thing up and then promptly spent about two minutes ripping a water line up.:eek:

/ Not my day #2  
Some days it's best to leave well enough alone! Or let someone else do the job... :laughing:

But I feel your pain. The LAST thing I want to do is take the PHD off the L3130. It's a pain in the rear to get it back on again - heck, it's a pain to get off for that matter! The top link pin at the tractor just will not come out unless you hold your tounge just right... I must be doing something wrong, but dang if I can figure out what!

/ Not my day
On the Mahindra, the top link pin is very tight. Never seen another tractor that the top link pin was hard to put in or take out til this one. How do you get your post hole digger off? Mine hangs chained to a large oak limb. My dad always backed up to a fence post and chained it off.

/ Not my day #4  
I hate tractor backhoes just for that reason. The neighbor had one & it usually took three of us a half hr to hook it up if everything went well.

As for the PH, yes mine hangs from a chain hoist attached to the shed rafter. Back up to it, swing it over hook it up, lower the chain & un-hook it...drive away.

1 ton is overkill but it will get the job done for $49:
Chain Hoist - Low Sale Prices on this 1 Ton Chain Hoist

/ Not my day #5  
I have days like that and when I see my fishing poles sitting in the corner, I start "thinking"

I used to drill my PH into the ground and unhook it there.

/ Not my day #6  
I have days like that and when I see my fishing poles sitting in the corner, I start "thinking"

I used to drill my PH into the ground and unhook it there.

Man that sounds easier than trying to deal with the factory stand on my LP phd. Nothing ever lines up right.
You just backed up, screwed it in a foot or two and left it? Utter simplicity. But for progress sake let's make it more
complicated....sigh. Lots of folk have dirt or gravel floors in sheds, sure could work for me.
Maybe it's because you are from Wise County? :thumbsup:

/ Not my day #7  
I built dollys for all my implements and park them on the concrete in my pole barn for this reason. Just park the tractor roll the implements into place. Changes a 30 min job to 5.

Chris

/ Not my day #8  
I built dollys for all my implements and park them on the concrete in my pole barn for this reason. Just park the tractor roll the implements into place. Changes a 30 min job to 5.

Chris

hmmm. Make them pretty, and get a patent on that idea...pics?

/ Not my day #9  
hmmm. Make them pretty, and get a patent on that idea...pics?

Lots of us do it on here. I just ger cheap casters at Harbor Freight then usually start out with two 4x4's. Some scraps if 2x6 or 2x4 & some screws and wood glue and go to town.

Chris

/ Not my day #10  
I have a Branson 3510 and I got a real deal on a Jinma Hoe. I modified the subframe to fit.
I back up over the subframe, connect the hydraulic lines and adjust with the Hoe controls.
For mine I have to remove the 3pt arms which is the only thing that takes up time.
Seems like putting the auger in the ground would cause premature corrosion. ???