Ever feel like an idiot?

/ Ever feel like an idiot? #11  
Definitely check with power company and have them look it over. You aren't the first person for sure who ever had a situation where something was less than ideal for wiring up the meter. I agree service wires preferably are not crossed but if that is the only option that is available it can be done. Like others said a UL listed divider can be put between the service wires. Did you already wire up the load end of the meter? If there are just tails in it now and the utility company can route them as they wish there shouldn't be too much of an issue I wouldn't think.

/ Ever feel like an idiot? #12  
They make a hole plug with gaskets for electrical boxes. Just put one in the unneeded hole and relocate it.

/ Ever feel like an idiot? #13  
This in just in regards to the title of the thread :

For Me , Everyday , Usually the first thought that enters my head when I wake up in the morning :thumbsup:

Like Gary wrote , They make plugs , don't know if you have enough wire for reroute though ? I would think that if the inspector puts their sticker on it , that the power company would be good since basically the inspector has " Approved " it , But know what your saying .

Fred H.

/ Ever feel like an idiot? #14  
Line in the top, load out the bottom and sides. that's the way its usually done.

/ Ever feel like an idiot? #15  
Line in the top, load out the bottom and sides. that's the way its usually done.

:laughing: When it comes to building practices, NEVER say "the way it is usually done" unless you add "around here" to the end of that.... Practices differ so much around the country, there are very few real "standards" it seems. Around here, almost all new construction is service underground, so the line in is most often the bottom, and the line out depends on where it is going... On my house, straight out the back to the panel. A friends house, it comes out the bottom. Both very common here.

/ Ever feel like an idiot?
Ok the engineer at the power company had me send him some pictures so he will look at them Monday morning and let me know. The issue with moving anything is that the metal siding will then have holes in it. It is frustrating when the inspector says that it's fine and that the power company about 30 miles east (who I don't have an option of using) would be perfectly fine with it. To quote the inspector "your power company is very difficult to work with". Oh well.

Here is a picture of what I have.

Attachments

• image-2113571777.jpg
    image-2113571777.jpg
    441 KB · Views: 279
   / Ever feel like an idiot? #17  
Can you move the conduit coming up to the left a foot or so? Or, put a couple 45's in to have it come up over there? I was thinking you might be able to unscrew the box and remount it to the left a bit - if the conduit could come up over there. Wires could straight up to their terminals. Then exit the box on the lower right of the box to the building, instead of out the lower left.

You'd still have the small screw holes from the old mounting location, but they'd be pretty small to caulk. And you'd be re-using the large hole through the wall.

/ Ever feel like an idiot? #18  
I feel your pain. I made boneheaded mistakes like that a couple times. I just ended up making more work for myself.

In your case - instead of moving the box, creating new holes in building or flipping the box upside down, can't you take box off the building and put it on the bench. Flip the components right and left inside so the wires will not be crossed. I am not sure how much work you will have to do to flip the cover though due to the meter hole is on right and the hinges orientation on it. You might have to have a new cover made by a local metal shop.

/ Ever feel like an idiot? #19  
From looking at your pics, you also need anti-short bushings on both conduits... Yes, even with plastic conduit (at least around here...). They are worried about chafing/cutting the insulation, I guess.

/ Ever feel like an idiot?
They don't require that here. This is the fourth entrance like this I've installed in the last 5 - 6 years and they've never mentioned them. It is interesting how the requirements change not only from state to state but also just different counties.