Food Plots

/ Food Plots #1  

Coyote

Silver Member
Tractor
Yanmar 2000B & Skat Trak 1300D skid steer
I have an old timber tract of 10 year old pines I want to plant small food plots for quail in. I have cut the pines and bush hogged some open areas that were briars, popular saplings, grass, etc. What should I use to get it ready to plant - disk harrow or tiller? I'm in NC so soil is pretty hard and clay. Anybody done this? Kind of like farming in the woods, not some field that's been farmed before. it's not like I'm planting corn deep either - the seeds just need to be a inch or two under and they will be broadcast spread not rows. Thanks!

/ Food Plots #2  
I live in tn and the ground here is hard packed red clay and slate and my tiller did a suprizing job of it i had to sub-soil. one thing to consider is if there is alot of roots and stuff the tiller might get caught up in it.

/ Food Plots #3  
I use a single row cultivator to break the surface of the clay before I use a disc. My tiller couldn't stand the gaff and the shaft broke right at the center bearing.

/ Food Plots #4  
I used a disc harrow, ran a drag over it,planted then ran the drag over it again. Plot is doing well.
Mike

/ Food Plots #5  
If you can, have someone help you control burn the understory cover in the remaining woods. This will help the quail population the most.