Fun day with the grapple and box blade - tearing down a quick little shed

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Fun day with the grapple and box blade - tearing down a quick little shed #2  
Did you have that thing red lined or was it just a poor recording?

/ Fun day with the grapple and box blade - tearing down a quick little shed
Did you have that thing red lined or was it just a poor recording?

That's the mic on the camera - it sounds very "high" - loses all the lower tones.

RPM's where right at the 540 PTO level. With the HST - it's just not as responsive on the pedals much below that.

The only time that I really push it above that level, is moving down the highway or with the 2 bottom plow. With either of these - every bit of that 40 hp is needed.

/ Fun day with the grapple and box blade - tearing down a quick little shed #4  
Keep the Vids coming - It is always nice to see a tractor in action.

Since you posted the link however; I am going to assume you are open to some comments/feedback. I will be the first to admit that I have done some things on a tractor/working that were probably not the best idea in hindsight.
I am actually fine with you using your tractor however you see fit, but please ditch the kid when actually using the tractor for a task.

At a minimum, that kid needs to have eye/ear protection on.

Like I said - just my comments/feedback. Keep the vids coming.

/ Fun day with the grapple and box blade - tearing down a quick little shed #5  
I enjoyed the video watching the grapple rip the stuff apart. Sure wish I had one. As far as not being an operator, so what. Just as long as you enjoy yourself with your equipment. In time you will be surprised how much more efficient you get and the same goes for me. I have an operator down the road and no doubt he is looking over the fence and thinking to himself, "What in the world is he doing it that way for."

As far as safety comments by some folks, sometimes it comes across more harsh than meant in an e-mail or on a forum. No doubt there are some grumpy old men who like rip on folks harshly, but even they have good ideas now and then, and may be worth listening to and getting a thicker skin is a start. I do agree it is not a good idea to carry a kid around on a tractor, even though I rode with others as a kid and have carried mine around. After a couple close calls with pto equipment and falls, no more for me, and that is all they were trying to get across. I still like videos of tractors though.

/ Fun day with the grapple and box blade - tearing down a quick little shed #6  
I am surprised you have to run it at 540 rated RPM's, I usually run well below, but I don't have a grapple, so maybe that's the difference.

While I would have phrased it differently than creekbend, his points are in my opinion valid. I have been driving tractors longer than you have probably been alive and made every safety error demonstrated in your video and knocked down my share of trees, posts etc. and yes I have ridden my kids on my tractors. I learned from my mistakes or errors in judgement or whatever one chooses to call them and made myself a better, safer operator.

While you may well view these posts as rude and write us off as irascible old fa**s, we just want to make you aware of the dangers of operating a tractor in what is accepted as an unsafe manner/environment. If you have read on this forum for a while, you have seen many threads on children injured falling from tractors, recently a four year old boy died when he fell and was run over by his uncle.

As to being a novice, nothing wrong or ashamed about that, we all once were and many if not most of us are still learning. I am trying to learn to use a new piece of equipment right now and it sure ain't pretty trust me.

I hope you take all of this in the spirit it is intended as none of us like to play "Safety Police", but feel it is irresponsible to just ignore it; I hate conflict myself and hate the appearance of lecturing, so I wouldn't do it if I didn't feel it important.

I hope you choose to remain a TBN member and continue to learn rather than get pi**ed off and leave. I have been flamed on here too, but overall it is a good forum.

/ Fun day with the grapple and box blade - tearing down a quick little shed #7  
One thing, though, I didn't see it, but if you did have a small child on w/ you, I would not recommend that for safety reasons. You don't know when that back end could come up.

/ Fun day with the grapple and box blade - tearing down a quick little shed #8  
Looked pretty good if you are a novice, we all started somewhere. You were a little herky jerky but that will go away with time. Operating is like dancing with the tractor, and its hard to dance with someone on your toes. Don't take this Internet stuff too serious.

/ Fun day with the grapple and box blade - tearing down a quick little shed
Some of the absolute best memories of my childhood are of long sundays splitting wood at the farm - and riding the tractor back to the house with loads of wood on my grandpa's lap.

I learned to drive on an old ford tractor pulling the hay wagon back and forth threw the fields when I was 9.

Nate - my youngest (7) rides with me when we are around on flat ground. It is his absolute favor thing to do. Later that day - he ran the FEL and moved 15 ton of dirt while I operated the pedels. Yes - he could be inside playing a video game - I am sure that would be much safer. I don't care. This is how kids learn.

I have another video taken this weekend of my oldest (11) running the tractor and tilling up the smaller garden (40 x 100). I am sure that it is also unwise and a terrible idea. I am sure that he did a large number of things wrong while doing it - yet - he spent an hour tilling the garden with his brothers, father and grand-father helping - and learned while doing it. I will take this over what most kids spend their time doing now-a-days any day.

Boys are loosing any idea of what it means to be a guy - I don't put my sons in harms way - and they don't do half the things that i did just 30 years ago on the farm - but I reject the PC idea that everything that a child does needs to be 100% safe. That isn't how the world works - and to raise a child that way just sets them up for failure. I teach my boys that they can absolutely do anything that can think of or need to do - from growing their own food, pulling an engine or building a house - just takes hard work and ambition and the mind set that anyone can do anything - they just have to be willing to try.

As for the comments about my truck or trailer? Sure - I could be easier on them - and with any hope - after doing these little weekend projects for a couple of years - maybe I will get better. In the meantime - I will just keep welding them back together and moving on the to next project.

Also - would love to see some others start posting some videos. Again - the reason why I post these at all is because when I was looking - they seem hard to come across.

Please teach me you OGM - post your video's of better technique and usage - I love watching someone good do their stuff (again - check out letsdig18 on youtube!)

/ Fun day with the grapple and box blade - tearing down a quick little shed #10  
JMO...but anytime I see a child on any piece of equipment while engaged in a working activity I cringe... how many operators of machinery where a child is injured or killed by an "accident" anticipated such accidents?

Every year I read about children getting severely injured or killed by this type of activity mostly because the operator failed to read or heed the manual /safety precautions and warnings...

Status
Not open for further replies.