the most important thing in the shop when working on projects

/ the most important thing in the shop when working on projects #91  
so maby you guys and gals can help me my reception is awful i even got me a fm atenna from chruchfield and i still can't pick up my favorite clasic rock station. my brother lives 1/8 mile from me pick's it up fine. what i don't understand is i can pickup station's tiwice the distance as the one i want there all 100,000 watt station's.

Hey sam5570, I just connect a piece of small dia. stranded wire 20-30' long or longer (its what we call sensor wire in the chicken business) on my antenna and run it outside and hang it up as high on the building as i can. My radio works pretty good for me like that. Couldn't pick up a single channel before I did it.

/ the most important thing in the shop when working on projects #92  
so maby you guys and gals can help me my reception is awful i even got me a fm atenna from chruchfield and i still can't pick up my favorite clasic rock station. my brother lives 1/8 mile from me pick's it up fine. what i don't understand is i can pickup station's tiwice the distance as the one i want there all 100,000 watt station's.

Hey sam5570, I just connect a piece of small dia. stranded wire 20-30' long or longer (its what we call sensor wire in the chicken business) on my antenna and run it outside and hang it up as high on the building as i can. My radio works pretty good for me like that. Couldn't pick up a single channel before I did it.

/ the most important thing in the shop when working on projects #93  
Thomas, what about those antibacterial ointments that would be used where you recommended vaseline? Do they cause damage too?

Hi Dan,

Sorry for the delay in answering you, but I was using a work computer, which crashed, and then when I went home to finish, my desktop also went blue screen up.

I tried using my tablet, but it was too hard to cut ad paste on it.

Anyway, here is what I know:

Topical [applied to skin] antibiotics don't actually "cause damage", but they are not recommended by most of us trying to practice evidence-based medicine, because they are mostly unnecessary, and too often have negative effects.

First of all, if there is any debris or contamination in the wound, any ointment [think grease- ] mechanically seals it in, increasing the risk of infection.

This is true of vaseline too.

Secondly, all of the topical [local] antibiotics available OTC [in the US at any rate] are known to cause allergic and/or irritant reactions. This is especially true of the neomycin component of neosporin, but all of them can be implicated. These reactions can be difficult to distinguish from actual infection.

....and finally, because all of these medications have been available OTC for a long time, and as a result [mis]used widely, taken as a group they have virtually no measurable effect on pathogenic [i.e., disease-causing] bacteria, and because they are antibiotics, they do not by-definition, have any effect on fungi.

This means that they only have a significant antimicrobial effect on non-disease-causing bacteria and fungi, and by killing them, they remove what is known as competitive inhibition from the local skin area.

In other words, by killing or limiting the non-infectious skin bacteria, they encourage the growth of the infectious microbes [staph/strep/fungi] that would otherwise be unable to spread because they would be competing for resources.

In concept, it is very similar to the cause of so-called yeast infections that women often get after being on antibiotics- suppression of benign organisms allows overgrowth of the not-so friendly ones.

I hope this wasn't too long winded and convoluted of an answer.

Thomas

/ the most important thing in the shop when working on projects #94  
If the shop is a metal building, like mine, a battery driven drill and nut driver will quickly remove enough screws to allow pull back of metal for access. No door/window entry hardening stops this. Sad, happened to a neighbor. If they want in, will find a way.

For our barn I have a strikemaster plate in the door, 6'' stainless screws in the hinges a better deadbolt, and anti-shatter film on all the windows.

/ the most important thing in the shop when working on projects #95  
If the steel building has spray on insulation it can be really entertaining to watch the thieves trying to break in when they're being harassed by the 2 100+lb dogs you let out(all the dogs wanted to do was play.) keeps them busy till the sheriff gets there and almost wets his pants laughing at them.

/ the most important thing in the shop when working on projects #96  
So, what is the penalty for not playing nice with your dogs in front of the sheriff?.

If the steel building has spray on insulation it can be really entertaining to watch the thieves trying to break in when they're being harassed by the 2 100+lb dogs you let out(all the dogs wanted to do was play.) keeps them busy till the sheriff gets there and almost wets his pants laughing at them.

/ the most important thing in the shop when working on projects #97  
Not a thing. They were trespassing. Nice thing about having the property posted no trespassing and beware of dog all over it. Anyway the worse thing the dogs did was knock them over and proceeded to attempt to lick them to death while laying on them.