the most important thing in the shop when working on projects

/ the most important thing in the shop when working on projects #61  
The motion detector light in the back of the inside of the garage. Perfect for backing truck into garage. It comes on automatically when the garage door opens or when I come in thru the man door. Very handy especially at night. I have one outside also that lights up the front of the garage and sides.

I REALLY like that IDEA, I have them outside & have 3 more to put up. One problem I been having is the one I put on/over my garage door on the barn comes on all time. I reset the sensitivity down then it dont come on when I walk up... it is aggravating & I think part of the issue is the barn where it is mounted. Centered above the garage door and between two 2nd floor windows so I can change it without a ladder was my thought but I think all the openings are letting the barn wall "flex" in moderate winds. This I THINK is why it comes on/off all the time but I can't really FEEL it flex as I'm not there in night so I have it turned off for now.

I have one on my tool shed which faces down drive & in heavy wind also comes on/off due to trees. 2 weeks ago a few of those trees I cut down. I have a large white pine got "Trimmed" on one side when one of the trees rolled that direction & got pulled into the pine. So fixing the pine's damage hopefully will cure that one's issue. I want to put one on my back fixed shed which also will need to be turned down as there are a lot of large ferns & pines around it. I walk between it and the cabin & it will hopefully work well for seeing those areas for this walk.

I have 2 more one figured to go under my Barn's Leen-too but have not installed due to the "wind activation issues."

MARK

/ the most important thing in the shop when working on projects #62  
I REALLY like that IDEA, I have them outside & have 3 more to put up. One problem I been having is the one I put on/over my garage door on the barn comes on all time. I reset the sensitivity down then it dont come on when I walk up... it is aggravating & I think part of the issue is the barn where it is mounted. Centered above the garage door and between two 2nd floor windows so I can change it without a ladder was my thought but I think all the openings are letting the barn wall "flex" in moderate winds. This I THINK is why it comes on/off all the time but I can't really FEEL it flex as I'm not there in night so I have it turned off for now.

I have one on my tool shed which faces down drive & in heavy wind also comes on/off due to trees. 2 weeks ago a few of those trees I cut down. I have a large white pine got "Trimmed" on one side when one of the trees rolled that direction & got pulled into the pine. So fixing the pine's damage hopefully will cure that one's issue. I want to put one on my back fixed shed which also will need to be turned down as there are a lot of large ferns & pines around it. I walk between it and the cabin & it will hopefully work well for seeing those areas for this walk.

I have 2 more one figured to go under my Barn's Leen-too but have not installed due to the "wind activation issues."

MARK

I mounted my motion light high up on the end of my barn, and relocated the sensor down lower, where I could play with it.... probably in the area you have your light. One of the big problem with the better new detectors is that they have too wide, 240 degree sensors. With a barn, besides wind issues, you have heat leaking sometimes around your end doors/vented from metal panels/etc. You can buy 110, 150, and 180 degree sensor heads [ or just buy a cheap light with one ] and use with your better lamp fixture. Nothing wrong with the 240 degree sensors... just are too touchy at times.

/ the most important thing in the shop when working on projects #63  
I like having things that roll around on the concrete ... I got two of those scaffolds that are about 30-36" wide and about 6' long ... I can adjust the height and wheel them around with anything on them.

/ the most important thing in the shop when working on projects #64  
scaffolding.jpg

Like these.

/ the most important thing in the shop when working on projects #65  
A retractable reel extension cord hanging in the middle of my shop. It will reach anywhere i need it, it's out of the way when I don't need it and it doesn't end up missing. And 3 old toolboxes of odds n ends.

I like this idea and will definitely be stealing it (the idea, not your cord).

Thomas- happily tap tap tapping on my repaired Galaxy Tab

/ the most important thing in the shop when working on projects #66  
I save Jif peanut butter containers they are clear, and easy too see what is inside.Miracle Whip jars work good also.

/ the most important thing in the shop when working on projects #67  
A lock on the door. To keep the wife out.

/ the most important thing in the shop when working on projects #68  
I must say I couldn't agree more. 👍

/ the most important thing in the shop when working on projects #69  
I save Jif peanut butter containers they are clear, and easy too see what is inside.Miracle Whip jars work good also.

...And the wide mouths make access very easy.:thumbsup:

They sell nuts and Parmesan cheese at BJ's Club in big square containers with [big] screw on lids and clear sides and these are quickly becoming another of my favorites too. :cool:

For a specific job I'll either grab one of these- or a margarine tub and lid to use for that particular job, then [hopefully remember to
:confused3:] recycle it and any spare parts back into the bins and stack of empties on the bench.
:cool2:
Thomas

/ the most important thing in the shop when working on projects #70  
A lock on the door. To keep the wife out.

:laughing: That would've been necessary with my X-wife, but the current spousal unit:wonderwoman: is very respectful of my tinkering time, and even occasionally helpful as an animated [and I'll admit once in a while too vocal:pullinghair::hissyfit:] universal clamp.:magnet:

N
ot to mention being very understanding [in a Boy, I'm-gonna-bust-your-chops-once-this-is-all-over kinda way:wink:] when I need help applying a bandage or a quick trip for sutures, x-ray, or the like.:biggrin:

No, I'll give her a key- at least for now, anyway- I can always change out the lock. :shhh:

But- I've been reading about how in this slow economy, some miscreants are making ends meet by burglarizing poorly secured suburban and [especially] rural garages to find power tools and shop equipment to sell, and while we did get industrial steel
View attachment Plyco Series 20 man door.pdf doors on our new barn/garage, we're planning on getting some stout deadbolts to add on to them.:ban:

Anybody have suggestions on that- e.g., brand, part#, or one to avoid, etc?
:confused:

Thomas