Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Tractor
    NHTC45D, NH LB75B, Ford Jubilee

Default Re: Projects i have been working on

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Stuart View Post
    All the retaining wall lack to be complete is tie backs and dirt.
    Tim, what are you going to use for tie-backs? Something like mobile home anchors would work. You surely want that wall very strong before backfilling. It looks too good to take a chance on it bulging outward. Everything looks like it is coming together. I built my house over 10 years ago and everything is still evolving. It's always a work-in-progress.
    Jim

Tractor
    Mitsubishi bd2h dozer, Gradall G3WD, New Holland TC35a, Chevy Dump Truck

Jinman, I was looking to several options for the tie backs including the mobile home tie downs. I think I am going to use my pto post hole digger to dig a hole about 2 foot deep and put a 10 foot 5/8 piece of rebar with a triangle bend on the end of it down in the drilled post hole and fill it with concrete, Than weld a 18 inch piece of 3/4 all-thread to the other end of the rebar. Drill a hole through the wall and post for the all-thread to go though with a washer and nut for adjustment. Than coat the rebar with roofing tar or a undercoating from where it comes out of the concrete to the wall to slow down the rusting process. Hope I explained it well . Any thoughts or opinions on this?

Tractor
    Kioti DK 35 now

Tim, that is similar to what they did in the "old day's" on large rock and brick walls. Except they used a "star" or other type decorative medallion on the exterior. I'd coat all the re-bar ,even the portion in the cement and double coat the weld joint.
    Dennis

"Winter 2013 a majority of the country is setting new cold records, Colorado is setting new record HIGH's"

"If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you."

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by Western View Post
    Tim, that is similar to what they did in the "old day's" on large rock and brick walls. Except they used a "star" or other type decorative medallion on the exterior. I'd coat all the re-bar ,even the portion in the cement and double coat the weld joint.
    Thanks !!! Good thinking!!!

Tractor

what size post hole would you guys drill ? I have 6" or 12" auger bit.

Tractor
    Kioti DK 35 now

Depends how deep your going I would think, 2' with the 12" should get you around 150-200lbs of cement in the hole. I'd go 12"
    Dennis

"Winter 2013 a majority of the country is setting new cold records, Colorado is setting new record HIGH's"

"If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you."

Tractor

Bear in mind that a 12' x 2' deep hole will hold a little over 1.6 cu/ft of concrete when you take variables into consideration. That's a lot of mixing on a hot day, so pick a cool day with plenty of time and an electric mixer if you can rent/buy/borrow one. Some people pour concrete into post holes and put water on top, but that is probably not the safe solution on your tie-back anchors. I think your idea with rebar will work fine. The mobile home tie-downs often come with galvanized strips to go from the anchor to the mobile home. I would think those would deteriorate pretty quickly in direct ground contact. They are around $10-$12 each I think. Coated rebar is probably a better choice. I'm no expert on this, so don't take my word as 'bible.'
    Jim

Tractor

Had a good day going got half of the tie backs in. Than I broke a u joint on my post hole digger. So I have get a u joint to finish.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Projects i have been working on-image-1170108082.jpg   Projects i have been working on-image-613660655.jpg   Projects i have been working on-image-2207902473.jpg  

Tractor

Wow! I've never seen a u-joint bust a spider like that before.
    Jim

Red Clay Country, GA & Mississippi Prarie
    Tractor
    JD 2210

Tim, I am very interested in this project, especially your retaining wall, since I need to do something similar at my place. Right about that ground contact wood - it'll be there! Good idea too with that rebar tie back thingamabob! I'd paint it with that old fashioned red lead paint if it is still available. Or, some good rust stopping super duper miracle paint.
    "He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive". Dirt, it's nothing but dirt, I tell ye...
    "I thought I was wrong one time, but I was mistaken." Command Sergeant Major Jim
    "I wouldn't want to be within 400 or 500 yards of one of them newfangled nuclear bombs when it went off!" WW1 Vet...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast