Projects i have been working on

/ Projects i have been working on #11  
All the retaining wall lack to be complete is tie backs and dirt.

Tim, what are you going to use for tie-backs? Something like mobile home anchors would work. You surely want that wall very strong before backfilling. It looks too good to take a chance on it bulging outward. Everything looks like it is coming together. I built my house over 10 years ago and everything is still evolving. It's always a work-in-progress.

/ Projects i have been working on
Jinman, I was looking to several options for the tie backs including the mobile home tie downs. I think I am going to use my pto post hole digger to dig a hole about 2 foot deep and put a 10 foot 5/8 piece of rebar with a triangle bend on the end of it down in the drilled post hole and fill it with concrete, Than weld a 18 inch piece of 3/4 all-thread to the other end of the rebar. Drill a hole through the wall and post for the all-thread to go though with a washer and nut for adjustment. Than coat the rebar with roofing tar or a undercoating from where it comes out of the concrete to the wall to slow down the rusting process. Hope I explained it well . Any thoughts or opinions on this?

/ Projects i have been working on #13  
Tim, that is similar to what they did in the "old day's" on large rock and brick walls. Except they used a "star" or other type decorative medallion on the exterior. I'd coat all the re-bar ,even the portion in the cement and double coat the weld joint.

Tim, that is similar to what they did in the "old day's" on large rock and brick walls. Except they used a "star" or other type decorative medallion on the exterior. I'd coat all the re-bar ,even the portion in the cement and double coat the weld joint.

Thanks !!! Good thinking!!!

what size post hole would you guys drill ? I have 6" or 12" auger bit.

/ Projects i have been working on #16  
Depends how deep your going I would think, 2' with the 12" should get you around 150-200lbs of cement in the hole. I'd go 12"

/ Projects i have been working on #17  
Bear in mind that a 12' x 2' deep hole will hold a little over 1.6 cu/ft of concrete when you take variables into consideration. That's a lot of mixing on a hot day, so pick a cool day with plenty of time and an electric mixer if you can rent/buy/borrow one. Some people pour concrete into post holes and put water on top, but that is probably not the safe solution on your tie-back anchors. I think your idea with rebar will work fine. The mobile home tie-downs often come with galvanized strips to go from the anchor to the mobile home. I would think those would deteriorate pretty quickly in direct ground contact. They are around $10-$12 each I think. Coated rebar is probably a better choice. I'm no expert on this, so don't take my word as 'bible.'

Had a good day going got half of the tie backs in. Than I broke a u joint on my post hole digger. So I have get a u joint to finish.

Attachments

• image-1170108082.jpg
    image-1170108082.jpg
    438.2 KB · Views: 166
  • image-613660655.jpg
    image-613660655.jpg
    439.5 KB · Views: 153
  • image-2207902473.jpg
    image-2207902473.jpg
    382.8 KB · Views: 149
   / Projects i have been working on #19  
Wow! I've never seen a u-joint bust a spider like that before.

/ Projects i have been working on #20  
Tim, I am very interested in this project, especially your retaining wall, since I need to do something similar at my place. Right about that ground contact wood - it'll be there! Good idea too with that rebar tie back thingamabob! I'd paint it with that old fashioned red lead paint if it is still available. Or, some good rust stopping super duper miracle paint.