Clearing and old fence line.

/ Clearing and old fence line. #1  

Case485Guy

Gold Member
Tractor
Case 485
I figured I would share my latest project. leased some land for cattle from my cousin, part of the deal was to maintain her fence. I am using a 53 hp Case 2wd, ratchet Rake, chain saw, and sweat equity..... I got part of it done this weekend and will finish the clearing part Saturday if all goes well. Then will be putting in new posts and stretching the wire. I will take some better before/after pics for the rest of cleaning this coming weekend. I was not paying attention and a branch gat to my fuel filter housing and busted it, so that shut me down. Got it fixed and ready to go for the weekend. Pics so far

Attachments

• IMG_20130324_122418.jpg
    IMG_20130324_122418.jpg
    588.7 KB · Views: 524
  • IMG_20130324_092233.jpg
    IMG_20130324_092233.jpg
    602.9 KB · Views: 524
  • IMG_20130324_092240.jpg
    IMG_20130324_092240.jpg
    632 KB · Views: 553
  • IMG_20130324_120217.jpg
    IMG_20130324_120217.jpg
    698.4 KB · Views: 382
  • IMG_20130324_120307.jpg
    IMG_20130324_120307.jpg
    662.2 KB · Views: 513
   / Clearing and old fence line. #2  
Looking good. Fence row clearing can be tough. I have been doing it off and on a little myself. A good added clearing tool to my arsenal was putting a saw blade on my stihl fs90. When you have to do hand to hand with saplings and such it flat eats it. Have fun with it!

/ Clearing and old fence line.
I want one of those Loadstar, I got a nice Echo but its a curved shaft. From what i can find, I cant put a blade on it?? I got my disc back on the tractor now. that is going to help having the counterweight for traction now, will let the RR work better.

/ Clearing and old fence line. #5  
Case485Guy said:
I want one of those Loadstar, I got a nice Echo but its a curved shaft. From what i can find, I cant put a blade on it?? I got my disc back on the tractor now. that is going to help having the counterweight for traction now, will let the RR work better.

Fence I was working on has a lot of inaccessible areas for my tractors. I was trying to maintain 10ft clearance and chainsaw brush clearing is hard on saw and me. (lots of saplings, woody brush, and hidden fence) if you got a lot of off tractor work I would recommend seriously thinking about it. Make sure you have enough power to the blade though or it's a disappointment. I always let people demo my setup and it has yet to disappoint. Another bonus is it's long reach. Not sure on your echos's attachments.

Attachments

• image-4119413872.jpg
    image-4119413872.jpg
    593 KB · Views: 259
Fence I was working on has a lot of inaccessible areas for my tractors. I was trying to maintain 10ft clearance and chainsaw brush clearing is hard on saw and me. (lots of saplings, woody brush, and hidden fence) if you got a lot of off tractor work I would recommend seriously thinking about it. Make sure you have enough power to the blade though or it's a disappointment. I always let people demo my setup and it has yet to disappoint. Another bonus is it's long reach. Not sure on your echos's attachments.
What diameter can you cut through? The back fence on this property is only accessible by foot/4 wheeler and I got a lot of cleaning to do back there to get the fence up to snuff

/ Clearing and old fence line. #7  
The tree in the picture took about a minute. Do I usually cut trees that size... No. My saw was a long walk and that was the only one in the way. Stuff as big as your thumb for the most part is like weed eating with string in heavy grass.

Attachments

• image-537620420.jpg
    image-537620420.jpg
    525.8 KB · Views: 329
   / Clearing and old fence line. #8  
Not for light stuff. Saplings and weeds with bark only.

/ Clearing and old fence line. #9  
Looks good. We have been clearing and putting up new fence since Nov so I can relate to all the work. What kind of post/wire are you planning to use?

I am using RR ties for the H braces and plan 4 T-post, RR tie, 4-Tpost, RR tie etc. I got a hook up on RR ties, Actually bridge ties 9-10' long and never have been on the ground for 5.00 each, these are in like new condition. I have been putting them 4' deep for H-braces and going to that for this line posts since its on the road to dress it up some. the barb wire is in good shape and I reuse most if not all of it.

Last edited: