Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: How can I run a sewer line trench under a mobile home?

The soil here is usually red clay and a mess.I don't know why but the soil under the MH is red and gray clay mixed with sand.It's like digging concrete with a flat end shovel.This MH was originally set with the tongue end on grade.Sediment has washed in plus the build up of grass clippings has brought the ground up around and under it.Settling hasn't help any either.My uncle and his redneck friends thought they knew how to set up a MH.That's part of my issue.It was set up in '86.I inherited his and my father's MH.They sit next to my house on what used to be the family two acre homestead.

A member PM'd me his idea.I'll share it and let him own up to it.

try a piece of the 4" pipe with one end closed off ..... drill 2 holes at both ends ( opposite each other )

run a rope under the trailer , tie one end of the rope thru the 2 holes at one end .

tie a similar rope to the other end of the pipe...

pull the pipe under the trailer ( its a drag link now ) empty pipe , pull back the other way and repeat till you have dug a trench deep enough ...
    I used this idea except I cut a 45 degree angle in my pipe to dig with.I didn't plug the end so I could knock the dirt out from the other end.It really packs in there good.I tied an old hoe handle to the end of the rope,crawled under the MH as far as possible and speared the opening I already dug at the tongue end.It took a few dozen tries to hit the hole.Once there we went down about 8 inches over 25 feet in an hour.We are going to make the trench larger than needed.I am hanging the pipe with good ole strapping.We have stopped for the night.Bad weather is heading this way for the weekend.

It was mentioned to do perimeter piping.That wouldn't work because of how close the septic tank is to the end of the MH,it's six feet from the end and the opening is just off center.I don't think I would have enough drop to keep the flow up through all those bends.I'll post some pics later this evening.I have somethings to do before I can dig out the camera and up load them to PB.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    AC WD 34 hp/3500 lbs MF 261 60 hp/5380 lbs

Please tell the one who sent you the idea, he's a genius.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckmotor View Post
    Please tell the one who sent you the idea, he's a genius.
    The member saw this thread and PM'd me the post above.I will let him/her revel themselves.I hope I didn't upset said member for posting what they sent me in PM.

I finished and got everything cleaned up just in time for the rain to hit.Weather gurl says we will be getting spuratic showers thru Tuesday. Here are some pics I snapped today and one from last weekend.

This was last weekend when I dug down and cut the sewer line and removed it.It doesn't look like it but that hole is just over 2 foot deep.It's way bigger now.

When I removed the line,it fell apart in three sections right where the pipe was pushed up by sediment.

Here was the layout when it was under the MH,except the plugged Y was sticking up and the line was bowed down.This would be looking from the connection down to the septic tank.

Here are the joints from the septic tank to the MH connection.I believe this would affect flow some what.

This is what connected the MH to the sewer line.

Tractor
    jd 1070

Well if you had saved the wheels .....

If you had 2 tractors with loaders, just park one on each end of the home and lift it up 10 feet.
    There is no "I" in team, but there is a "Me" if you want to jumble it up a bit...

...I hope I didn't upset said member for posting what they sent me in PM...
    If it solved your problem...they should be puffing on their fingernails and buffing them on their lapels...
    Slash Pine
    blunt and succinct but sincere...in the immortal words of Popeye..."I yam what I yam"

Quote Originally Posted by zzvyb6 View Post
    Well if you had saved the wheels .....

If you had 2 tractors with loaders, just park one on each end of the home and lift it up 10 feet.
    Yeah but I ain't getting under there.

Quote Originally Posted by /pine View Post
    If it solved your problem...they should be puffing on their fingernails and buffing them on their lapels...
    Agree.

Thanks for all the help.We finished this project this past friday.I can only work as my health allows.The trench ended up being 12 inches wide,roughly 35 feet long,and tapered from 0 to 24 inches at the end of the MH.I upped the pipe size to 4inch bell mouth PVC from 3 inch sch40 ABS.I was just barely able to get the rise and run called for which equals to 1/4 inch per foot or 1 in 4 as my inspector called it.No permits were need because I am out in the county and not connecting to public sewer.We don't have sewer here.Only in the cities is there sewer.

So far we have had a lot of rain since friday night.I have to ***-U-ME that the leech fields have opened up on their own since they have been exposed to oxygen.All this rain and there is no sign that the leech fields are flooding and backing up into the house.I am working on tearing out and redoing the bathroom so there is no toilet over the pipe I replaced.I just leaned that the toilet I purchased requires a 4inch flange.Yippie!I get to replace the plumbing stack under the toilet.I am about to start a thread about that.I have questions.I try to keep these things separate to help with searching.It seems to help on other forums.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123