How can I run a sewer line trench under a mobile home?

/ How can I run a sewer line trench under a mobile home? #1  

ben2go

Gold Member
I recently posted about a mobile home I own that has been having trouble with the septic system.After leveling the MH and doing a lot of other work,we decided to rerun the main sewer line from the MH to the septic tank.It had the wrong type pipe with to many bends and joints,it also to small for my liking.We are upgrading FROM 3 inch abs TO 4 inch bell mouth sewer pipe.Sediment washing under the MH pushed the old 3 inch pipe up enough that waste would settle in the pipe.So now I need to trench under the MH which sits below grade.I can't physically get under there.I am to big and I am a small guy.No one I know can fit.How can I run a trench 15 feet long 12 inches deep and wide enough for 4 inch pipe under this MH?I tried a shovel and I can only get a couple feet under there.I don't want to dig down no more than I have to_Once we have the pipe in,I will take the necessary steps to make sure water and sediment don't get back under there.

/ How can I run a sewer line trench under a mobile home? #2  
Just curious...even if you could get the trench dug...how would you make the connection?

/ How can I run a sewer line trench under a mobile home?
Just curious...even if you could get the trench dug...how would you make the connection?

It's a straight run so I can assemble the pipe on the end that is above grade and push it out the end to the septic tank.only about the first 1/4 of the trailer is at or below grade.It sits on a slope.This MH wasn't properly set up.I am making the best of it since the local authority will not issue permits to allow me to move and reset the MH.Because the MH is over 20 years old they won't allow me to move it and reset it,and our local utility company has been contracted not to restore power to any MH over 20 years after it's been disconnected.It's always some red tape getting in the way.

/ How can I run a sewer line trench under a mobile home? #4  
Without a picture it is hard to imagine the exact issue...but it sounds like digging access is the hard but logical option...

Any chance you could make a water jet (garden hose and 3/4" pvc) and jet the earth out of the way?

/ How can I run a sewer line trench under a mobile home?
Without a picture it is hard to imagine the exact issue...but it sounds like digging access is the hard but logical option...

Any chance you could make a water jet (garden hose and 3/4" pvc) and jet the earth out of the way?

I had considered that but it would flood the trench I have already dug to the setic tank and flood under the MH.I am concerned about settlement and washing out around/under the piers.

/ How can I run a sewer line trench under a mobile home? #6  
I know you said it was a tight fit.....but you can't find a flexible teenager to get under there? There are companies that have equipment for directional boring but that would be expensive. How about tunneling to where you need to get to.....more digging but......good luck!

/ How can I run a sewer line trench under a mobile home? #7  
I've seen house movers on TV dig under houses with long arms rigged onto the front of a skid steer loader. I think they attached them to pallet forks.

/ How can I run a sewer line trench under a mobile home? #8  
I think I would get an electric garden tiller, remove the wheels and outer pair of tines, and use it to loosen the dirt. Might need a handle extension. Then pull the loose dirt out with a long handled hoe. If the ground is hard, you could probably use a soaker hose to soften it without causing a washout.

Bruce

/ How can I run a sewer line trench under a mobile home? #9  
I had considered that but it would flood the trench I have already dug to the setic tank and flood under the MH.I am concerned about settlement and washing out around/under the piers.

How far back is the facility connection?...On a MH not a DW it can't be more than say 10'...I'd rent/borrow a small BH like a Kubota BX and use that to dig down enough to crawl under and as far in as it will go..Probably around 8' horizontal...then hand dig the last few feet in that trench...A couple pickup loads of gravel would bring you to pipe grade.

You'd have to go deeper than you want, but it'd be minimal back breaking work that way. A few hundred bucks and part of a weekend from the limited info provided.

/ How can I run a sewer line trench under a mobile home? #10  
Dear Sir: Just a thought? Whatever method you employ, please be sure to have a permit and inspection done. I say this because the pipe has to have a gradient level in order for the waste to reach the septic tank. The inspector will check to see if all fittings are secure and that the correct scheldue PVC pipe is used. He will also check with a level to see if the PVC pipe meets the criteria to allow for the correct flow of the waste material. Rest assured that this will save you a lot of grief in the Future. The cost of a permit and inspection is miniscule compared to doing it incorrectly. Doing it incorrectly, may even jeopardize your homeowners insurance. Just a thought. Thanks for listening.