Big rocks for wife's garden...photos...

/ Big rocks for wife's garden...photos... #1  

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, Kubota MX5100, KubotaL4300, Deere 790 TLB, Farmall Super C
When we got a chance to get some big rocks, the wife figured she needed a rock garden. OK, sure.

These were big rocks so I brought the 7,000 lb trailer and drove my JD5520 to the site. It was difficult because the soft dirt and other debris kept interfering with my ability to get under the rock to pick it up. I know what 7,000 lbs feels like and they were heavier than that. Maybe 9,000 or 10,000 lbs? I put some pallets down first to soften the blow.

Here's the photo on the trailer...
004.JPG

Here they are out back. They don't look so big now but they are.
006.JPG

/ Big rocks for wife's garden...photos... #2  
Those are some big rocks and should be one fine looking rock garden when done. Lucky to have a tractor to help:confused3:

/ Big rocks for wife's garden...photos... #3  
lol, I know what rock garden means! Can't say alot though, I like getting them as much as she does.

/ Big rocks for wife's garden...photos... #4  
Here we can't wait to get rid of them ! :laughing:
Bury them a bit so they don't look like they just landed. Looks like the perfect time to get a set of forks !" But I got them for your project dear "! :thumbsup:
Sounds like fun, can't wait for the follow up pics!

/ Big rocks for wife's garden...photos... #5  
Best wishes regarding the Rock Garden. Years ago, my Wife wanted me to put some boulders in the front yard with Pampas Grass spaced between them. She changed her mind after I told her that snakes, including Copperheads, might find the area accommodating.

/ Big rocks for wife's garden...photos... #6  
Let me know if you need more rocks, you can have mine.

/ Big rocks for wife's garden...photos... #7  
You should paint those rocks....hide em in the garden for the grandkids to find tomorrow morning! Seriously.....should be nice when project is complete.....good luck.

/ Big rocks for wife's garden...photos... #8  
Been in rock mode myself lately. I was worried a bit about that larger one in the foreground. I was wrangling it out of the ground and my tractor was downhill from the rock. I put the bucket in front of it and backed down the slope pulling the rock out of its hole as I went. At some point the rock was set free to roll as it pleased, right into the front end of the tractor. Good thing it is a B21, not even a scratch.

DSC01931_zps5156ba14.jpg

/ Big rocks for wife's garden...photos... #9  
Here we can't wait to get rid of them ! :laughing:
Bury them a bit so they don't look like they just landed. Looks like the perfect time to get a set of forks !" But I got them for your project dear "! :thumbsup:
Sounds like fun, can't wait for the follow up pics!

Yes to all the above.
Might add if you want them to look natural, be careful about scuffing them up too much with equipment. It takes years for the scars to blend in on Ohio rocks and if you knock a corner off it will look fresh cut versus mossy.. Using big wide nylon tow straps around them and dragging with a chain attached works pretty well if the dirt isn't too soft.

/ Big rocks for wife's garden...photos...
Yes to all the above.
Might add if you want them to look natural, be careful about scuffing them up too much with equipment. It takes years for the scars to blend in on Ohio rocks and if you knock a corner off it will look fresh cut versus mossy.. Using big wide nylon tow straps around them and dragging with a chain attached works pretty well if the dirt isn't too soft.

Yeah, I tried not to scuff them but they were in a ditch on an uphill slope with traffic whizzing by. I was afraid i was going to flip over as it was so there was no plan "B". Scrapes don't bother either of us. Oddly, we lived in New England for years and picked many hundreds of tons of rocks out of the fields. Any Yankee knows that rocks are their best crop. You would think she was tired of rocks but, oh wait, I'm doing all the work.