Elite Member
    Tractor
    3550 Fard Backhoe and a 1948 Farmall Cub,

Default Mack engine rebuild

Im about to start a long post on here of a complete rebuild of one of our Mack motors. Lately the plant has started recycling alot of the waste we used to get so it will be a bit slow till we get a few more customers. We have also been doing alot more of our own mechanic work since the last 3 hires for mechanics havent worked out. I never have built a large engine like this. Or mechanic we use on our Mack and Cummins engines retired as he is getting feable but has a sharp mind. Its my friend Mr. Olen Parsons. He agreed to bring his OTC engine stand and a few more tools to do the job. I had to bargain with dad on the deal and got it set up.

Our last mechanic offered to do the build but just fix what was wrong like resleeve one cylinder and leave the rest. Thats not a build to me. Mr. Olen and I will do a complete clean tear down and rebuild from the ground up and document the whole process. Mr. Olen doesnt have alot of years left in him and I think it will be a great learning experience as he is the best in the area on a Mack engine. I want to write down all the tricks and tips and post them here.

Tractor
    Kubota MX5100, Kubota BX25D, MULE Fxt Pro, Honda Pioneer 500

Default Re: Mack engine rebuild

Sounds like a great chance to learn and gain some experience. There is nothing better than working with an expect and learning by doing it hands on. Good luck and I look forward to your postings
    Kubota MX5100
    Kubota BX25D
    Mule FXT Pro
    Honda Pioneer 500

Tractor
    Ford 640

Look foreword to it. I had an old tandem axle r dumptruck twin stick with the E6 charge air cooled ESI motor. When I bought it, it had massive exhaust leak on cylinder 6(rear of manifold snapped off). Drove it 2 hours home on 6 tires, big black cloud following it (with one cylinder worth in cab), and learned how to drive a twin stick on the fly. I bought a manual and slowly fixed up the motor for something to do. While I owned the truck it received a lightning strike which resulted in a dash fire. Then the next year a ash tree split and fell on it and my Freightliner. You couldn't hardly tell the Mack took the blow but my Freightliner had the hood busted and both windshields knocked out. One thing was for sure god and my wife hated that truck. So I sold it and broke even. I thought it was a very near motor and design that seemed ahead of its time. I had a blast working on it in the grass with a droplight under the stars.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    3550 Fard Backhoe and a 1948 Farmall Cub,

Gotta love the old mack trucks. They are beyond tough. I have a truck salesman trying to sell the company an 80,000 dollar Peter built with air ride and a shiny chrome bumper to replace one of our trucks. I made the remark I dont see the pull hooks for the bumper. I also stated that if it could hold up to 3 weeks work with our old truck we would buy it. He refused that bet.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kubota BX2200, Gravely mower

Mack Trucks made in Pennsylvania.

Tractor
    JD 4120 eHydro 4wd, 400x loader, bucket, bale spear, pallet forks, grapple and a New Holland TC35 gear 4wd no loader

My Grandfather had a saying about Mack trucks that I cannot post here because it is way not PC for modern times, but let's say it was fitting coming from a man who spent most of his life as a straw boss and later a farm manager in the rural Arkansas Delta.
    Closest I can say is "Mack trucks are bulletproof" but he didn't say bullet.