Burning Poison Ivy

/ Burning Poison Ivy #1  

El Wood

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 3320
Hey guys... I'm currently in the process of clearing a few acres of brush. After using my tractor, my friend brought in his dozer for the heavy stuff. He ended up making a couple big piles for me to burn. As I was looking closer at the piles, I started wondering if poison ivy could be in them. I've read that burning poison ivy is very dangerous and can even be fatal.

Is there a safe way to burn poison ivy? Can you wear a mask and goggles?

Here is one of the piles...

image-80253366.jpg

/ Burning Poison Ivy #2  
Stay upwind

/ Burning Poison Ivy #3  
I would never go anywhere near a pile of burning poison Ivy. That's very dangerous and just plain nasty! I just spray mine and let it rot where it sits. If it's in a bunch of other wood and brush that really needs to be burned, make sure you stay upwind of it. You DO NOT want that smoke to get in your lungs!

Joe

/ Burning Poison Ivy #4  
Don't.

If you must, HEPA/carbon filter (yellow/purple) on a full-face respirator. The main hazard is inhalation of airborne urushiol.

/ Burning Poison Ivy #5  
A friend of the family almost died because she inhaled poison ivy while burning it. She got it internally and was hospitalized for days

/ Burning Poison Ivy #6  
If at all possible I wait several months (sometimes almost a year) after building a brush pile before burning it. This gives time for everything to dry out, including the Poison Ivy. Never had a problem... so far.

My Great Grandmother also almost died from inhaling smoke from some Poison Ivy. It was before my time but she always told the cautionary tale.

/ Burning Poison Ivy #8  
It can affect others in the area. Evacuate the area. Actually don't burn it.

/ Burning Poison Ivy #9  
Letting it dry out good helps it start faster and burn faster. Old friend said big flames will help push the smoke up and away. That's what you want.

/ Burning Poison Ivy #10  
If one is imune to poison ivy (as I am) as far as getting a rash/blisters from touching it, does that also make one imune to the smoke, or are the 2 not related?