Let's See Your Workbench

/ Let's See Your Workbench #11  
Posted on the other workbench thread.

I'm in the process of expanding my workshop. I posted a thread on that :) Never really had a workbench, just some scrap on some sawhorses. I will build 4 benches of different sizes. I put together the first, 72x24x42, with 4x4 legs, rest 2x4s. Top will be melamine mdf, plywood shelf. Pic below.

image-2330744839.jpg

Next bench is same style 90x24x32. Assembled it today.

image-2939315128.jpg

Third will be 48x16x32 likely on casters and home to my battery tools and chargers.

Fourth isn't set yet, probably 84x24x32.

None of this is fancy or cabinet grade. Lumber is normal construction grade. Just looking for function and durability. These will all be located in an area approx 10'x24', 3 different walls.

image-1693836457.jpg

Have fun, I am :)

David Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

Last edited:
   / Let's See Your Workbench #12  
workbench.jpg

This is mine made from old hospital rolling drawers, junk. $100, all in

/ Let's See Your Workbench #13  
I definitely don't have "great" tables, but they do their job well. This is the saw out-feed table.

I just bought some 4x8 sheets of ply/with laminate top and built some 2x4/6 supports.

/ Let's See Your Workbench #14  
Here's another table (in background), same stuff.

These are old pics, so sorry for the lack of detail, it's just what I have on photobucket already.

/ Let's See Your Workbench #15  
No pics but one thing I like to do is leave about 2" overhang on 3 sides. This helps whenever you want to clamp something down when working on it. I just use 2x4 structure with 3/4 plywood top.

Same here, I cut the 3/4 plywood 26" & 22" the top is 26 and cut a slice off the 22" to make middle shelf about 20" up off floor. Simple 2x4 frames the TOP with the legs in the inner corners the 2nd shelf has the 2x4 frame on inside of legs. There is cross braces in the frames and a diagonal brace from top corner to bottom corner of the leg. The diagonal brace sets UNDER the top frame and is not quite flush but works great. If you plan a LOT of weight on the middle shelf I add a 2x4 under the frame to the floor.

I have 4 or 5 built this way & not all of them are the same as just built them where needed...
The last on I used sheet of MDF so size was a bit off as the MDF is 49x97 or 98" so the bench ends up a bit wider/longer. I also use PL400 on all connections including the top/shelf to frames and legs to frames. Several were/are put together with screws & nails others just nailed with nail gun & 3-1/2" 16penny nail gun.

No pics that I can think of for now but hey just build em. lol. These do end up on heavy side but usually built in-place and leave em... Once built in basement wall using same type of construction still in the house working great. I have one in outside shed that I used treated 4x4 legs & battery drill / screws & glue then painted it real well shows no sign of falling apart though ya really can't see much of it lol

they are made using one sheet pf Plywood/MDF and 6 or 7 8foot 2x4s so costs is cheap and maybe 3 hrs labor (not including paint.)

mine are similar to this one above
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...-lets-see-your-workbench-image-2330744839.jpg

Mark

/ Let's See Your Workbench #16  
Yes...I have an overhang for clamping on all my tables.

/ Let's See Your Workbench #17  
When building mine, I built the frame then marked the top and counter-sunk screws from the top of the table. No snags, and if/when the top needs to be replaced, it's a pretty simple job.

I also used a roundover bit on my router, and then sanded the edges...but that's just me. :D

/ Let's See Your Workbench #18  
Thought I might share my existing bench

image-4039827361.jpg

Here it is cleaned up just in case someone wants to copy it :)

image-854070377.jpg

Here are the replacements

image-694302386.jpg

image-4050402674.jpg

Need a bit more finishing, but not much. Doubt I will paint anytime soon.

David Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

/ Let's See Your Workbench #19  
It's always nice to have at least one bench that's higher (like mid-waist height). It'll get used for that close in work like soldering and anything that requires the use of your mini-screwdriver set.

/ Let's See Your Workbench #20  
ya can't see mine for all the stuff piled on it... Wife uses it for a catch all too.