Let's See Your Workbench

/ Let's See Your Workbench #1  

El Wood

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 3320
My pole barn is going to be built in the next couple months and I've been contemplating different work bench options. I was hoping you guys could give me some ideas. So let's see 'em!!!

/ Let's See Your Workbench
Bueller...Bueller... Guess nobody has a unique cool workbench.

/ Let's See Your Workbench #3  
OK - i have 24x36' barn and on one side, I had the builder (using his EWPine) make me 3 8' long (movable) work benches 28" deep for $50 each and in between 1 and 2 bench and level with the bench top is the radial arm saw and then table saw and drill press is on stored on one end I can pull out and use the saw but dont use the benches for material support.

The frames are 2x6 rough pine, with plywood shelf 12" off the floor and 2x10 fir for bench top. They are nice but not picture worthy as I haven't cleaned up lately...

/ Let's See Your Workbench #4  
I would show you my workbench but there is so much junk on it I cannot even see it!!:D I used 2x4 for legs and frame some old flat slab doors for the top. Built it around the radial arm saw and drill press, ugly but it works for me?:thumbsup:

/ Let's See Your Workbench #5  
No pics, but my workbench is made from the wooden frame of an old water bed :laughing:. It is about 6' long, about 2' deep, has an 8" bench grinder on one end, and a vice on the other. There is an open storage shelf underneath.

The wall the bench sits against is T&G pine, so it's easy to hang frequently used tools and stuff there. I have an outlet in the wall above the bench for easy power access.

I don't do much wood butchery, er, wood work, but if I did, I would want a bench dedicated to that. It would be clean and smooth-topped to prevent stains and scratches, and I would never set my chainsaw on it.

It depends on what sort of things you do I guess. Good lighting and power outlets always help.

/ Let's See Your Workbench #6  
Here you go

/ Let's See Your Workbench #7  
My Father when a teenager around 1910 worked for neighbor and wasn't paid then given a shop work bench made of cast iron.
I saw it a couple of times growing up and still live on the place know it is there can only see the legs. when on knees digging out some piece of iron to repair stuff. some day will clean up the shop.

The other day found a "T" model Ford frame in rafters. Remember he said he had a 1919 coupe wonder where the rest is.?
ken

/ Let's See Your Workbench
Thanks guys. I appreciate the info.

/ Let's See Your Workbench #9  
bench1.jpg
first pic-post attempt, so we'll see...
built this in my new outbuilding, now will try to do it again in the new garage. found some of the plan online, but improvised, too, which for me is pretty scary since my only other project has been a doghouse (they didn't seem to care, either). seems sturdy enough to land a plane on it.

/ Let's See Your Workbench #10  
No pics but one thing I like to do is leave about 2" overhang on 3 sides. This helps whenever you want to clamp something down when working on it. I just use 2x4 structure with 3/4 plywood top.