What's a good paint sprayer?

/ What's a good paint sprayer? #1  

mx842

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L3301, PowerKing 2414, John Deere 316, Gravely ZT HD 52
I'm about getting to the point where I want to paint my pole barn and make it all one color. I thought about rolling it but after trying a small spot that is going to be almost impossible to do. I've been looking around but everything I've looked at is either too cheesy looking or too expensive for something I might only use a time or two each year.

What ever I buy I want something that is going to last awhile and not go bad after or before the first use but I don't want to spend a thousand bucks either. I've heard pretty bad reports on the cheaper and mid range wagner models and don't want to go there so what else is out there? What are you guys using?

/ What's a good paint sprayer? #2  
My buddy has a titian sprayer. I was a bit skeptical about it, until I used it. I had a wagner, this titian was a whole different animal. I painted the barn, fence, lattice work (both sides), chicken coop, and swing set in 2 hours. I went through 7 gallons of stain. It looks great and covers evenly. This was the bear solid color stain from home depot. I did not have to dilute it or use any flow agents.
Titan Tool US [XT 420] was the one he had either that or the Titan XT330 Piston Airless Paint Sprayer (Reconditioned) | Overstock.com

/ What's a good paint sprayer? #3  
Graco Truecoat. Our neighbor has a cordless one which he lent to us and we liked it so much that we bought a corded one.
The only downside to the cordless one was that when the battery starts to get low, it doesn't atomize the paint as well. That (and price) is why we got a corded one.

Aaron Z

/ What's a good paint sprayer? #4  
I have a Graco 190 that I bought at HD several years ago. I have painted the house inside and out painted the garage and several other structures. The airless sprayers are the way to go. If your need is only for a one time paint job on your barn perhaps you could rent one. It usually takes me more time to clean the sprayer than it took to do the paint job. Once you start spraying you will be surprised just how fast you will be done painting. If you have several things that need painting have them all prepped and ready paint on hand. You can spray several gallons of paint per hour on a good day depending on how many times you have to go up and down the ladder repositioning etc.

I am **** about cleaning the equipment and storing it properly when done and always use their "pump armor" to flood the pump before storage. There are times the sprayer sits for a year or two between uses and has never given me a problem stored that way.

/ What's a good paint sprayer? #5  
Around here we've got gypsys that show up and will paint bins , sheds , cribs , anything , at a reasonable price .

/ What's a good paint sprayer?
Around here we've got gypsys that show up and will paint bins , sheds , cribs , anything , at a reasonable price .

Had bad luck with gypsies round here....most had sticky fingers and stuff tended to disappear when they showed up.

My buddy has a titian sprayer. I was a bit skeptical about it, until I used it. I had a wagner, this titian was a whole different animal. I painted the barn, fence, lattice work (both sides), chicken coop, and swing set in 2 hours. I went through 7 gallons of stain. It looks great and covers evenly. This was the bear solid color stain from home depot. I did not have to dilute it or use any flow agents.
Titan Tool US [XT 420] was the one he had either that or the Titan XT330 Piston Airless Paint Sprayer (Reconditioned) | Overstock.com

I had not seen the Titan and it looks like it may have possibilities. I'll do some more research on these. Thanks

I have a Graco 190 that I bought at HD several years ago. I have painted the house inside and out painted the garage and several other structures. The airless sprayers are the way to go. If your need is only for a one time paint job on your barn perhaps you could rent one. It usually takes me more time to clean the sprayer than it took to do the paint job. Once you start spraying you will be surprised just how fast you will be done painting. If you have several things that need painting have them all prepped and ready paint on hand. You can spray several gallons of paint per hour on a good day depending on how many times you have to go up and down the ladder repositioning etc.

I am **** about cleaning the equipment and storing it properly when done and always use their "pump armor" to flood the pump before storage. There are times the sprayer sits for a year or two between uses and has never given me a problem stored that way.

I have been leaning toward the Graco sprayers, they seem to have pretty good reviews. I did want to get something that you could service.....get replacement parts for rather than just throw it away when it quits but to get one like that it seems you have to spend $1500.00 or more. I quess if you have to spend that much to get a good heavy duty sprayer you could buy and throw away 2 or 3 cheaper units and still be ahead. Once my barn is finished I'll probably only use it 2 or 3 times a year so it won't see much use but I hate to work on stuff before can use it and then have to keep messing with a tool to keep it going. I learned a long time ago cheap is not always the best and once you get older time is more important than a couple bucks. BUT! I still like to get a good deal or the most bang for the buck every now and again.

/ What's a good paint sprayer? #9  
Some Grayco models (the ones sold at Sherwin Williams stores IIRC) have rebuild kits available for the pump. When we got ours, the Sherwin Williams store matched the Lowes price even though it was a different model number (essentially the same gun, just a different PN on it).

Aaron Z

Some Grayco models (the ones sold at Sherwin Williams stores IIRC) have rebuild kits available for the pump. When we got ours, the Sherwin Williams store matched the Lowes price even though it was a different model number (essentially the same gun, just a different PN on it).

Aaron Z

What model did you guys get?