Work shop

/ Work shop #1  

kennesm

Tractor
None
I need to start planning and saving to build a shop. I'm looking for suggestions? I live in north central Texas and most of what I see these days are metal but there are still a lot of old pole barns standing on farm land. My biggest question is should I go with a metal or wood structure? I'm not too picky; I will just be using it as a work shop and storage. Does anyone have some good cost saving ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
   / Work shop #2  
I think the choice between metal and wood is a personal choice.

and some on how the building will be used and constructed,

full floor or not, if a perimeter ring foundation, or just posts

if the interior is to be finished, or not

insulation, and if the insulation is to be done during construction or after,

if your hiring it built or a DIY project, and what experience and equipotent one has, and help.

the size of the building,

if it is to be heated or cooled,

may be a little more info on what your thinking may help,

/ Work shop #3  
I live a couple hundred miles north of you, so this should work there also.

Big doors on north and south, for summer air flow, with big concrete pads outside.

Have a walk in door where our rare ice storms won't freeze it closed.

Insulate first.

Wood works for me, had it built by a professional pole barn builder, 30x40 plus the shed.

PB040079.JPG PB040082.JPG PB150128.JPG PB180140.JPG PB230146.JPG

/ Work shop #4  
These folks advertise in our local Montague County Shopper paper. They seem to be reasonable in price, especially for basic structures. They are out of Seminole, Oklahoma just east of Norman, OK.

/ Work shop #5  
I live a couple hundred miles north of you, so this should work there also.

Big doors on north and south, for summer air flow, with big concrete pads outside.

Have a walk in door where our rare ice storms won't freeze it closed.

Insulate first.

Wood works for me, had it built by a professional pole barn builder, 30x40 plus the shed.

View attachment 313969 View attachment 313970 View attachment 313971 View attachment 313972 View attachment 313973

Now that's what I'm talking about. I'd love to have one like that. If you don't mind me asking, how much does one like that cost to have built?

/ Work shop #6  
I had this one built about 4 years ago for $25,500. It is completely wired with 100 amp panel, 110v and 220v for my welding machine. 110v receptacles are wired every 8 feet inside and one set under each shed along with light fixture It is 2x4 x 9 foot studs setting on a coarse of 8" CMU blocks and fiberglass bats in the walls and roof with 3/8" plywood interior walls and 1/2" exterior walls. Galvalume roofing, 2 insulated 8 foot tall doors, one 16' and one 10' wide plus a man door opening into the bathroom on one side. It is 30x30 concrete slab with 12 foot sheds on each side(30x52 under roof). Also the attic is floored and lighted in the 15 foot section down the middle with a pull down ladder for access. I have 6 fluorescent fixtures with double 4 foot tubes which lights it up well. I also have a double bulb spot light at the side by each garage door for when I need some more light. Last year I added a 14 x 30 shed on the back side of this structure to house my boat and lawnmowers, fuel tank and fishing gear so I had more room to work inside the original shop. I didn't insulate it but now I wish I had because it really gets hot whereas my shop stays cool in summer and warm in winter. I can heat it comfortably with a 1500 watt heater and cool it with a 15K BTU window air conditioner.

Attachments

• IMG_0836.jpg
    IMG_0836.jpg
    928.4 KB · Views: 473
  • PDRM1765.JPG
    PDRM1765.JPG
    413.1 KB · Views: 327
  • PDRM1777.JPG
    PDRM1777.JPG
    281.9 KB · Views: 257
  • Shop wall plate detail.jpg
    Shop wall plate detail.jpg
    454.8 KB · Views: 370
   / Work shop #7  
Now that's what I'm talking about. I'd love to have one like that. If you don't mind me asking, how much does one like that cost to have built?

$19k in November, 2011. The doors are 12x12 and skylights are in the wall, not in the roof.

PB280159.JPG PB230143.JPG PB230149.JPG PB280158.JPG

/ Work shop #9  
My pole barn went up in 07 I was in the $19K range also for a 30x40 with concrete floor. I kind of finished the inside myself still working on that part?? Good luck with your project, also go BIG you will not be sorry I wish I had gone bigger with mine.The Oaks Sign 001.jpg