Me A Happy Camper - 1975 Dodge 500

/ Me A Happy Camper - 1975 Dodge 500 #11  
I sure agree that the 318 and 360 were fine engines. I had a 1977 3/4 ton Dodge pickup with the 360. I think it was about 1980 when I bought it, and used Dodges, especially 3/4 ton were just so much cheaper than Fords or Chevy's, so it was a bargain. I used it to pull a boat and to haul firewood. Then in 1982, when our older daughter turned 16 and got a drivers license, it became her truck. Three years later, the younger daughter turned 16, and it became hers and I bought a car for the older girl. It was a tough truck, and it had to be for those girls, especially the younger one.:laughing:

/ Me A Happy Camper - 1975 Dodge 500
I sure agree that the 318 and 360 were fine engines. I had a 1977 3/4 ton Dodge pickup with the 360. I think it was about 1980 when I bought it, and used Dodges, especially 3/4 ton were just so much cheaper than Fords or Chevy's, so it was a bargain. I used it to pull a boat and to haul firewood. Then in 1982, when our older daughter turned 16 and got a drivers license, it became her truck. Three years later, the younger daughter turned 16, and it became hers and I bought a car for the older girl. It was a tough truck, and it had to be for those girls, especially the younger one.:laughing:

I think the only weak point on them were the motor mounts. Welded rubber that could pull apart. GM had the same problem, first quick factory fix was a cable to hold the engine down if they broke.

I had to sell the 73 to pay a tax bill. Sold it to some minors in Lone Pine CA. Ran into a friend of theirs couple of years later. He said it was still working & climbing rocks. Think the "Road" just to get to the mine was a rock pile.

/ Me A Happy Camper - 1975 Dodge 500 #13  
Hi Lady,
Those terms of endearment aren't going to get you anyplace. I am wise to you girl people. :laughing:

Old truck is not lacking for power, If it could get traction it would go straight up. It does come up a little short on highway speed. Happy at 50/55 MPH above 60 it is not so happy. That little engine just sips fuel as well.

More later, always glad to see that you are out & about.
Jim

Shucks Jim, a girl's gotta try. I have been busy rebuilding my disc. http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachments/270878-amco-offset-disc.html
hugs, Brandi

/ Me A Happy Camper - 1975 Dodge 500 #14  
I think the only weak point on them were the motor mounts. Welded rubber that could pull apart. GM had the same problem, first quick factory fix was a cable to hold the engine down if they broke.

:laughing:Interesting that you should say that.:laughing: The younger girl came home one day and parked at the curb in front of the house. She came in and told me, "There's something wrong with my truck." I went out and noticed a puddle of ATF under the truck, raised the hood, and could hardly she'd driven it home with that engine turned on it's side. Fortunately, with my floor jack, I was able to straighten it up. And had to replace the broken line from the transmission to the cooler, and of course, the motor mounts, but was very lucky there was no other damage.

/ Me A Happy Camper - 1975 Dodge 500 #15  
:laughing:Interesting that you should say that.:laughing: The younger girl came home one day and parked at the curb in front of the house. She came in and told me, "There's something wrong with my truck." I went out and noticed a puddle of ATF under the truck, raised the hood, and could hardly she'd driven it home with that engine turned on it's side. Fortunately, with my floor jack, I was able to straighten it up. And had to replace the broken line from the transmission to the cooler, and of course, the motor mounts, but was very lucky there was no other damage.

i would shure like to have seen a picture of that :cool:

When mine broke, was climbing up a rock pile that resembled a road. Eased it back down & drove about 600 miles home, then fixed it. No damage, just had to drive easy.

/ Me A Happy Camper - 1975 Dodge 500 #18  
Looked at your disk thingie. Nothing I would want to drag around. Me too hates to remove back hoe. Can do it alone if needed, but a real pain.

What happened to your frog puddle that was leaking?

The big "D" (& I don't mean Dallas ) pretty much wised me up. :thumbsup::laughing:
I put bentonite along the dam and threw it into the water at the base of the dam. Seems to have stopped it. At least no surface seeps.

Dug a bigger one with an island last summer. You can see and read about it here........http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/projects/251326-instant-pond.html

I wised up from the big D also.
hugs, Brandi

After 2 Hours & 1 Beer. 1/2 The time looking for tools, 2 1/2" Socket, Square socket for lugs on inside tire, etc.

dodge apart 1.jpg - dodge apart 2.jpg - dodge apart 3.jpg

Seat may need a little repair - What ya think??

dodge seat.jpg

/ Me A Happy Camper - 1975 Dodge 500 #20  
I bought a 1975 Ramcharger in '76. Had the 318, NP 203 full time 4x4 , auto. Never broke 12mpg but only got stuck one time when I tried to climb over a snow bank and had all the tires off the ground. Good times in the old goat! Hard to believe I just spent more than twice as much for a lawn mower than I did for that truck !