Me A Happy Camper - 1975 Dodge 500

/ Me A Happy Camper - 1975 Dodge 500 #21  
After 2 Hours & 1 Beer. 1/2 The time looking for tools, 2 1/2" Socket, Square socket for lugs on inside tire, etc.

Looks good, but you did it the hard way IMO

I just replaced the rear wheel cylinders on my '75 C-60 Chevy. Pulled the axle shaft, removed the hub nut and lock, put the forks under the duals and slid the whole thing off as a unit with the tractor. No heavy lifting, had it down to the brakes in about 10min. :thumbsup:

/ Me A Happy Camper - 1975 Dodge 500

I just replaced the rear wheel cylinders on my '75 C-60 Chevy. Pulled the axle shaft, removed the hub nut and lock, put the forks under the duals and slid the whole thing off as a unit with the tractor. No heavy lifting, had it down to the brakes in about 10min. :thumbsup:

A few years ago I did the other side that way. But would had to spend 3 / 4 hours moving stuff around, it would have also doubled the tool chasing distance.
Since I am real good at forgetting the right tool or just plain getting the wrong 1, took that into consideration.

Maybe next year I will play Chevy, need to put an engine & clutch in my 1974 C65 Dump truck.

Tomorrow off comes the master cylinder, like to find a rebuilt or a repair kit, but will take what I can get.

/ Me A Happy Camper - 1975 Dodge 500 #23  

Years ago I had a small fleet of similar trucks - mine were the 600's. When I did brakes and/or seals, I jacked up the duals, slid a greased sheet of cheap plywood under them and let the wheels down till just the weight of the duals was resting on the plywood. Then out came the axle and everything holding the wheels and drum, then slid the works out. Reassembly was everything in reverse, being careful to have the axle tube and drum seal lined up perfectly. I had a bum back then as now and could not lift those wheels. This way I didn't have to.

Bad day at Black rock. :mad:
Early AM call parts store, master cylinder for a dodge D500 truck. We Got one only $100, I'll put it on the shelf with your name on it. 60 Miles 1 way and what he had was not even close, maybe fit a car. 1 Hour + many places checked, "Midland 300407" Midland has it $400 for a rebuilt, $500 for a new one. That is with a discount. Disgusted, don't even pick up the few little groceries that I need.
Stop for a beer & burger, not been there in about 4 years, good burger, fires OK. 2 12Oz draft beers, with tip $15. If I remember last time in ti was that much for 2 people.

Start typing this, power goes off, only for a minute or 2, just enough to crash the computer.

Later today or tomorrow, search the net for a reasonable price for a master cylinder. Maybe just get a whole master cylinder & vacuum out of some other vehicle & make it work.

Not going to pay $400 for a few seals & cups.

/ Me A Happy Camper - 1975 Dodge 500 #25  
Bad day at Black rock. :mad:

Not going to pay $400 for a few seals & cups.

Any chance you can rebuild the one you have yourself? Or are the cylinder walls pitted too deeply to salvage?

/ Me A Happy Camper - 1975 Dodge 500 #26  
If you can measure the bore of the master cylinder I bet you can find a rebuild kit that will work, maybe even if its for a different application. So far the parts availability for the old Chevy's is pretty good, Carquest and NAPA carry a lot of heavy truck parts. Is your C65 a single axle or a tandem?

Any chance you can rebuild the one you have yourself? Or are the cylinder walls pitted too deeply to salvage?

That is sort of the plan, but have not been able to locate the right seal or cups. Have rebuilt quite a few (not this odd ball 1) over the years.

Tomorrow the internet will get a work out with me looking.

Had almost enough fun for 1 day, 1 more beer & its bedie By. :laughing::thumbsup:

Thanks
Jim

/ Me A Happy Camper - 1975 Dodge 500 #28  
My hat's off to you. I have an old IHC 1700 4x4 fire truck (hose) that I've always wanted to turn into a flat bed. It's only got about 25k on her but it's been years and I still have found the time.

Men, women, boys & girls, I sure could use some suggestions on where & what to look for.

Have gone to well over 100 web sites or pages. Can't find anything even close to the right master cylinder.
Looked under Dodge D500 truck, M500 motor home (same chassis), even looked at the 300 series.
Checked out several auto parts & truck parts stores, looked under Midland brakes, Wagner brakes, Bendix brakes.
Vintage & antique Dodge parts

2 Problems, MC is an oddball, (Picture tomorrow) brake lines attach on passenger side of cylinder. Front brake line is 5/16" & rear 1/4".

Running out of ideas.

2 Days of internet searching. Actually found a replacement cylinder, a rebuilt direct from Halex / Midland. "Only" $313 + $120 Core charge (refundable).
Still a ridicules price for less than an hours labor & a few seals.

Think I will adapt a Bendix 12008 brand new cylinder $47.99

See pictures & please tell me what you think.

mc 1.jpg -mc 2.jpg -mc 3.jpg -mc 4.jpg -mc bendix.jpg