Me A Happy Camper - 1975 Dodge 500

/ Me A Happy Camper - 1975 Dodge 500
Actually another day of progress. Not an easy day.
200+# drum had to be taken off after the first try. Try & Try, it would not go all the way on. Even used a ratchet strap trying to get on all the way.

Remove drum, new seal is slightly cocked. Just talking about 1,000ths of an inch. Tap it out, check fit on axle shaft, very tight but will go on. Make sure the bearing will slide on, near perfect alignment required. Seal could have been made about 8 to 19 thousands smaller. Hardest I ever had to hammer a seal in.

Second try and it goes on, part way. Seal & bearing are started, but it stops about 1 inch from going all the way. Heavy hammer & block of wood between axle studs and it does go all the way.

Using my home made tool the gland nuts went on. Back nut a little difficult as the first guy in this well had buggered the threads a little.

Tighten up bearings until drum will not turn, back off 1 flat (1/8 turn). As some nice person reminded me a few posts back.

Pictures show the drum on and the simple tool that I made. You can't keep a determined redneck down. :D

tool n drum.jpgtool1.jpg

Moving ahead, however slowly.
Inside dual is on and brakes adjusted. After adjusting both adjusters the wrong way, it only took twice as long as it should have.
Getting the tire on worked out to be fairly easy. When the jack was let down on the stand the hub was a little lower than center. Leaned rim over hub and jacked it up until the rim slid over the hub. 3/4" Impact socket fit over lug bolts and inside the holes in the rim. A little prying & hard push got 1 lug through the wheel & lug nut started. From there it got even easier, just push & start nut. Run them down with the impact.

I left the axle out so that turning the wheel to adjust brakes would be easier.

Question!! Have any of you used a Vacuum brake bleeder??? It will be my first time using one. Use to have a pressure bleeder or had a helper to work the brake pedal. Any hints or tips would be appreciated.

tire on 2.jpgtire on.jpg

Then it was lunch time. 2 Brats for me & 1 for the dogs.
lunch time.jpg

/ Me A Happy Camper - 1975 Dodge 500 #43  
Moving ahead, however slowly.
Inside dual is on and brakes adjusted. After adjusting both adjusters the wrong way, it only took twice as long as it should have.
Getting the tire on worked out to be fairly easy. When the jack was let down on the stand the hub was a little lower than center. Leaned rim over hub and jacked it up until the rim slid over the hub. 3/4" Impact socket fit over lug bolts and inside the holes in the rim. A little prying & hard push got 1 lug through the wheel & lug nut started. From there it got even easier, just push & start nut. Run them down with the impact.

I left the axle out so that turning the wheel to adjust brakes would be easier.

Question!! Have any of you used a Vacuum brake bleeder??? It will be my first time using one. Use to have a pressure bleeder or had a helper to work the brake pedal. Any hints or tips would be appreciated.

View attachment 317680View attachment 317681

Then it was lunch time. 2 Brats for me & 1 for the dogs.
View attachment 317679

Jim Looks like some one able to train the dog to get you back home after a all nighter. It would be no problem to get the dog to step on the brake and hold .
Also let him drive the truck for the first trial run.

Going to Mt. View for a trip with our camper to check if all is good. Also a country music show .

Keep posting the truck repair problems. Does the engine run?
ken

Jim Looks like some one able to train the dog to get you back home after a all nighter. It would be no problem to get the dog to step on the brake and hold .
Also let him drive the truck for the first trial run.

Going to Mt. View for a trip with our camper to check if all is good. Also a country music show .

Keep posting the truck repair problems. Does the engine run?
ken

Good to hear from you Ken.

I'm have a little trouble with my dog training program. Youngest one (Brat - her name & she lives up to it.) wants to drive. Seat over 4' up and she jumps in flat footed. Then sits there with a when are we going for a ride look.

Reason for the happy camper name to the thread. After sitting for over 2 years it did start & run. Second day as I was about to give up, it fired off.

/ Me A Happy Camper - 1975 Dodge 500 #45  
I've used a mini-Vac several times. It's the cat's meow if you're working alone. You should have no problems bleeding with the mini-Vac.

mkane09

/ Me A Happy Camper - 1975 Dodge 500 #46  
Jim,
I had a Snap On Tools hand vacuum pump years ago. I quit working on small airplanes and let it set for years and years. Tried to use it a year or two ago and the seals were dried out. It wouldn't work. But it is the cat's meow when new and working by yourself. If you pour what you vacuum out back into the master cylinder, be sure to filter it with pantihose.
You can also use an old fashioned pump up oil can to pressure up the lines and bleed them. We usually tied the tubing to the bleeder valve with some saftey wire. Just don't pump the little oil can dry. Which is tedious in itself. This worked on a small airplane, so I guess it would work on automotive brakes.
hugs, Brandi

/ Me A Happy Camper - 1975 Dodge 500 #47  
I recently used a vacume bleeder for the first time while rebuilding the brakes on a boat trailer with surge brakes. might be the only way I bleed brakes from now on.

/ Me A Happy Camper - 1975 Dodge 500 #48  
The last brake job I did was in January, 2007; front brakes on my brother's F350 Ford and one caliper had to be replaced. We didn't have a vacuum actually made for the purpose, but my air powered siphon spray gun did the job just fine.:laughing:

/ Me A Happy Camper - 1975 Dodge 500 #49  
Good to hear from you Ken.

I'm have a little trouble with my dog training program. Youngest one (Brat - her name & she lives up to it.) wants to drive. Seat over 4' up and she jumps in flat footed. Then sits there with a when are we going for a ride look.

Reason for the happy camper name to the thread. After sitting for over 2 years it did start & run. Second day as I was about to give up, it fired off.

Jim following your posting of problems on the "camper'
Need a vacuum run a piece of tubing from the vac. advance on your engine. clear tubing can see the brake fluid in tubing. Same type used to run water to refrig. works.

I have never purchased a pick-up or car that didn't need the wheel cyl. or brake fluid replaced.
ken

Thanks Brandi & guys,
Your advice is much appreciated. This vacuum bleeding is a new thing to me. Got an El Cheapo from HF to try it out.

I do plan to flush the whole brake system with new fluid once everything is working & sorted out.

I have managed to stretch a 3 to 5 hour job into weeks & days. Good thing I,m not working for wages, good chance I'd get fired. :laughing: