Me A Happy Camper - 1975 Dodge 500

/ Me A Happy Camper - 1975 Dodge 500 #51  
Vacuum bleeders are pretty straightforward. Pump and suck, open/close the bleeder valve.

I have also used the large vet syringes (the kind used for suction, no needle). Cheap, and work.

Don't forget to keep an eye on the reservoir. It sucks (pun intended and free!) when you realize you just started all over.

/ Me A Happy Camper - 1975 Dodge 500 #52  
Hi CRASH325,

I've got the same mater cylinder problem wiht my 1972 Dodge D500. Did you ever figure it out, and if so, what did you end up doing? Any help would be appreciated.

/ Me A Happy Camper - 1975 Dodge 500
Hi CRASH325,

I've got the same mater cylinder problem wiht my 1972 Dodge D500. Did you ever figure it out, and if so, what did you end up doing? Any help would be appreciated.

Just went back to work on the old 500. Its not a D, just plain 500, an oddball only a few made.

I found a Ford master cylinder with the same bolt pattern. Problem 1, push rod to big to fit in MC. Plan to grind it down to size, can't remove, so has to be done in truck. #2 Extra port of MC that has to be plugged. Found an odd ball brake line with a small fitting on 1 end that fits. Will cut off, fold, crimp & solder if it is mild steel. #3 Minor problem Large & small brake lines on fit opposite ends. Just a little bending.

Replacement for original MC is about $450 wholesale. It also has a small fluid tank , that is one of the things that moved me to the Ford.

More later if I make some progress. Will post picture of old MC & new if desired.
Can not remember what Ford model the MC Fits, but can send part # if you think it would help.

When things seem to be going good. A new & unrelated problem crops up.
Wen to steam some tomala's for lunch & there is no water. Water well is broken.
Yep it's broken all right, fittings on the manifold shattered . Big stream of water running down the road.
Figure out what I think is everything I need off to local Ace hardware. OH crap, meed a reducer that I didn't get. Back to Ace, local ace does not have 1.
26 Miles to Ace in town for 1 lousy fitting. $1.99 + tax.
Now its dark, I don't normally drive after dark, eyes do not work well unless there is good light.
Right now waiting for it to warm up to 60 or better, hands don't work well under about 60.

More later
Jim

/ Me A Happy Camper - 1975 Dodge 500 #55  
Yep it's broken all right, fittings on the manifold shattered . Big stream of water running down the road.
Figure out what I think is everything I need off to local Ace hardware. OH crap, meed a reducer that I didn't get. Back to Ace, local ace does not have 1.
Now its dark, I don't normally drive after dark, eyes do not work well unless there is good light.
Right now waiting for it to warm up to 60 or better, hands don't work well under about 60.

More later
Jim
I sure hope you got your wish for above 60 temps! While you're at it how about turning the thermostat up a few extra so'at us shiverin' folk north of you get some too whenever we gets a souther!!:laughing::laughing: Right now we have a "souther" and all its delivering for warmth is -17C (thats 1.4F for you folks) BRRR.... Seriously, I hope your day got better after all the fixes were in and you started your well pump.:thumbsup:

/ Me A Happy Camper - 1975 Dodge 500 #56  

More later
Jim
I sure hope you got your wish for above 60 temps! While you're at it how about turning the thermostat up a few extra so'at us shiverin' folk north of you get some too whenever we gets a souther!!:laughing::laughing: Right now we have a "souther" and all its delivering for warmth is -17C (thats 1.4F for you folks) BRRR.... Seriously, I hope your day got better after all the fixes were in and you started your well pump.:thumbsup:

/ Me A Happy Camper - 1975 Dodge 500 #57  

More later
Jim

Hello Jim Some day we all will learn that before anything can be started something else will have to be done first.
Was thinking a few weeks ago that never heard the Dodge was fixed. so same problem still showing up.
Also the well seems to be a frequent subject also. How deep is the well could a pump attached to bottom of the pipe be better ?
I have a deep well pump attached to my pump in the pond and only 20 feet deep but kept from going to bottom by a 15 gal. plastic tank attached. Know when running by the shacking of barrow.
keep it handy with frost proof faucet just in case a fire is started around the shop it has a 1" flow that will go over the shop. also good for washing the tractor. and garden sprinklers.

The daily life of hermits and other desert dwellers seem to be one of every day either excitement or despair.

ken

Your cold weather of 60 degrees . were staying some what 10 to 20 deg. low but very little moisture falling.

Me & the well went round & round. For a while it looked like I was loosing the battle.
3 Days of pain & frustration. Bah Humbug. At some point back pain says I have to quit & I make poor decisions after that if I don't quit.

The well it's self & pump + tank were fine this time. Tank was set wrong, 1 end on concrete & the other on dirt (silt) That big rain (3.5") let the dirt end settle about a 1/2 inch. That broke the manifold in several places. Thought I had it fixed ( jury rigged ), It blew apart about an hour later. It's made of PVC, & was put together with slip or compression fittings. Bah Humbug again. Cut it apart, replace some of the pipes, install 2 unions & some new pipe. @ Tiny drips & that is good enough. It's working & after 3 days running water.

Well is 360' deep pumped at 340' water at 320', tank 300 to 500 gallons. Lime in water may seal the little drips.??

Little Boy has turned escape artist. Found me at the well ( Over 100 yards away) & has the look, See I found you and aren't you happy to see me. Found where he went through the fence & fixed about 10'. Next day here he comes again. Will not get in truck but likes to run along with it & comes home with me.

I have had way too much fun the last few days. Ole Dodge got no attention. Maybe tomorrow or maybe the next day. ??

A few days of do nothing. Feed dogs & birds & that's about it.

Went to well & picked up tools & parts not used. Little drips had quit. I had left the tools & Parts there, as it seemed every time I picked them up the well went down.

My escape artist gets worse. Went down the fence & fixed up all the places it looked like he could get out. 4 Foot up & between the barb wire was his escape path. While at the well here he comes ever so happy, ready to be petted & do some exploring. Tie up another spot on the fence & pull up to the gate & here he comes back to the inside of the gate. Walk & check the whole north side & 1/2 the west side. No obvious place to get out or in. The 1 good thing is he does not go out while I am home. Just when I go some place.

He is smart in that he only goes in or out when I can't see him. Years ago had a German Shepard that loved to go with me. He would climb a 6' vertical board fence. Added 2 feet to it & he still went over it.

Have too go to town tomorrow, (Beer & Dog Food ), bad as I hate too, Will have to tie him up. I think that is safer for him than getting out & going exploring.

More Later - May even work on old Dodge in a few days.

Jim

Mother Dove made babies, climbed up to see in nest & 2 little heads moving around in there. It took her so long I was thinking that her eggs were duds. She did not feed the little ones while I was near by. Doves rarely show there kids until the kids are nearly grown, so she must feed them quite a bit.