Build equipment storage shed attached to a 40 ft. container

/ Build equipment storage shed attached to a 40 ft. container #1  

travlitt

Platinum Member
Tractor
8050C Branson, Branson 2400, 8N Ford, Round Fender John Deere 110, 3 60" ZTR mowers, a bunch of ride on mowers, 8' Brush hog , 15' Bat wing
I would like to build a shed and attach it to my 40 Ft. container. It needs to be high enough to get my tractor (102 inches) under it.
My first step is to raise the height of the container by 15". I will accomplish this by moving the container off site, build a dirt pad, add cross ties, fill spaces between ties. Then I placed the container back in place on the new pad. I will have more pics as I build this project.

More pictures of work that I completed this week.

Headers bolted to container.
Placing rafters (2"x4" rectangular steel)
Tail of rafters are resting on temporary header and wood post. ( will be removed later)
Setting tail header.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 418
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 393
  • 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 440
  • 017.JPG
    017.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 457
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    27.6 KB · Views: 332
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 356
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    42.5 KB · Views: 363
  • 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 390
Last edited:
   / Build equipment storage shed attached to a 40 ft. container #2  
Looks like a good step towards keeping the bottom of the container high and dry as well. Personally, I would not have filled between the ties. Are you going to have moisture problems in the low area between the pad and the building?

/ Build equipment storage shed attached to a 40 ft. container #3  
On construction sites we often use 40 foot x 8 foot containers (2) placed 30-40 feet apart then span between them with a roof. We build a riser, usually 5 feet on each side to gain the height needed for cherry picker to move under it. The bottom plates for the wall are bolted thru the roof and silicone sealant applied under the bolt to be water tight. That is the cheapest shed on can build and have plenty of water and rodent proof storage in the SeaCan. For warehouse areas, we pour a concrete slab between them and then put up walls on the ends. A slight tilt side to side of the container allows the water to drain off the outside edge so it keeps it out of the center or shed area.

/ Build equipment storage shed attached to a 40 ft. container #4  
You also could of jacked up the container and built up just the corners with a quick plywood form and a few bags of concrete.

Many years ago in a container yard I worked in, they built their shop out of containers. 2 containers high and 2 containers end to end long for the sides, 10 containers for the roof.
Plenty of room to drive in with yard trucks and such.

Looked hideous thou.

/ Build equipment storage shed attached to a 40 ft. container
TC Jatko..Should not have a moisture Problem between the container and the storage building. I have a 4" drain pipe installed between the container and the storage building. The only water will be from the run off from the storage building. I have a berm built on the uphill side that will carry the run off around the container. I Hope. I filled between the ties, wet it down then compacted the fill with my tractor. The 2"x12" boards are bolted to the ends of the ties. The purpose of filling between the ties is to keep them from being "Rolled" or drug out of position when I pulled the container back on top of the fill.

/ Build equipment storage shed attached to a 40 ft. container #6  
Just wondering what a storage container costs?
Dave

/ Build equipment storage shed attached to a 40 ft. container #7  
Around the dallas area usually 2300-2500 for a 20ft container.

More progress on my project.
Installing the decking. The decking was also used to square the roof framing.
007.JPG
Here I am setting the permanent steel post
004 - Copy.JPG
All post are set
003.JPG
Removing temporary post and header
001.JPG
Welding in all of the steel components
007.JPG

Project is now completed
005.JPG
Trim to tie container roof to shed roof.
018.JPG
Trim matches the trim on my shop.
002.JPG
004.JPG
This swing arm will be used to dismount and mount my PHD. Swings under the roof for storage.
017.JPG

Attachments

• 018.JPG
    018.JPG
    430.6 KB · Views: 318
   / Build equipment storage shed attached to a 40 ft. container #10  
Nice job! How wide is it and what is the cost of the steel frame? I like the swing arm.

Dave