Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Platinum Member
    Tractor
    JD 950

Default Re: Subpanel vs breakers in main panel

Quote Originally Posted by BeezFun View Post
    By "tied together", do you mean using a double pole breaker in the main service panel, and sharing a neutral?
    Affirmative

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    B2710

Quote Originally Posted by Rock knocker View Post
    Affirmative
    thanks for help
    Kubota B2710, New Holland CM274 front mower, Toro Zmaster ZTR, Ford 908 bush hog, New Idea manure spreader, Swisher trail mower

Tractor
    Kioti DK45SE hst cab

Here in Idaho they allow the tied breaker to feed another building BUT that building has to have a toggle switch (or decora switch) at the first junction box that will cut off all power to that building. It doesnt need to be a breaker, but a switch is required (or 2 switches in a tandem circuit). Anything more requires a subpanel.

Personally, since the trance is the most expensive part of this operation, id run a 40 amp , 240 circuit to a 8 space, $30.00 panel. This will give you more options in the future. And wont cost that much more overall. Like i said, the tranch and trenching labor is the most expensive part. so do it only 1 time
    currently own
    2011 Kioti DK45SE HST CAB tractor/loader, Jimna 6" - 3 point wood chipper, 60" JD Brush Hog, JD 60" Rototiller, 3 point post hole digger with hydraulic assist, 3 point spring tooth rake, Fimco 55 gallon weed sprayer with 12 foot boom, 3 point hydraulic wood splitter (home built)
    Quick Attach 79" loader mount snowblower & rear powerpack
    Quick Attach 84" Snow Blade
    Quick Attach 42" pallet forks

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    B2710

Quote Originally Posted by grsthegreat View Post
    Personally, since the trance is the most expensive part of this operation, id run a 40 amp , 240 circuit to a 8 space, $30.00 panel. This will give you more options in the future. And wont cost that much more overall. Like i said, the tranch and trenching labor is the most expensive part. so do it only 1 time
    Yes I think I'm spending more time trying to out clever myself than it would take to just put in the subpanel. I haven't put anything in this building yet and it's already too small, so I'm guessing the electric will follow the same pattern.
    Last edited by BeezFun; 04-24-2013 at 12:28 PM.
    Kubota B2710, New Holland CM274 front mower, Toro Zmaster ZTR, Ford 908 bush hog, New Idea manure spreader, Swisher trail mower

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Deere, several

Rock Knocker has a good handle on the topic.
    You will be happiest with four #4 conductors to a 60 amp panel in the shed. Requires a ground rod at the shed sub panel and the bond opened between the ground bar and neutral bar. To keep neutral current off the ground system.

Tractor
    Yanmar YM2000

does a sub panel in your house need to have a ground rod to it? Im talking i have a 200A pannel in house and on an addition they had a sub panel that is 40A. I replaced it with current box and romex and did it just like it was. Neutral and ground are not bonded and it is on a 40A breaker and has 2, 20A breakers in the sub. There is no ground rod though? Is that right? or do i need a ground rod to the sub?
    YM2000. MF dirt scoop,4' Jbar bushhog,boompole, LMC 12-16 disk harrow, 4' Atlas boxblade (with rippers). 1980 chevy K10,1990 ford ranger 2wd (285K miles),1997 saturn SL2 (twin cam!!),2001Toyota Higlander
    1986 Cobia 177 sunskiff w/1981 Johnson 60 hp
    1991 Javalen 17ft w/same year 150 Johnson GT
    Troybuilt 4 cycle & Echo 2 stroke,cold natured(need carb rebuild),MS390 Stihl, Northern tool pressure washer, mixes water into the oil in the pump(now dead, motor on a tiller). 5000 watt generator.

Tractor
    Kubota B2320HST

If I were doing it, this is what I would do:

53fffdetach.pdf
    MIKE

Ephesians 6:12

America is a Constitutional Republic.......NOT a democracy! Our founder knew democracies never last!

"Iowa Child" by Sarah Hall Manley

Platinum Member

compared to a sub-panel, an MWBC requires less wire -- and wire is expensive these days. for a pair of 20A circuits using an MWBC, you need qty 2 #12 black, qty 1 #12 white, and qty 1 #12 green. an MWBC does require a switch at the detached structure, which could be as simple as an A/C cutoff switch mounted in a plastic box.

a sub-panel is going to require more infrastructure,and is therefore costlier. heavier wire for the feeder, two ground rods, the panel itself, breakers, ground bars, etc. a panel does give more options in terms of circuit separation, and growth.

Wrooster

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Deere, several

Sub panel at the out building or not. There should be a ground rod driven at the outbuilding and the ground attached.

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3830GST, B7500HST, BX2660

Quote Originally Posted by wrooster View Post
    compared to a sub-panel, an MWBC requires less wire -- and wire is expensive these days. for a pair of 20A circuits using an MWBC, you need qty 2 #12 black, qty 1 #12 white, and qty 1 #12 green. an MWBC does require a switch at the detached structure, which could be as simple as an A/C cutoff switch mounted in a plastic box.
    If you used a 20 amp 220v breaker and a small (2 space?) subpanel, that is also all that you would need...

Aaron Z
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast