New hot water heater options, Tankless vs Tank... Electric vs Propane.

/ New hot water heater options, Tankless vs Tank... Electric vs Propane. #1  

aczlan

Good Morning
Tractor
Kubota L3830GST, B7500HST, BX2660. Formerly: Case 480F LL, David Brown 880UE
Our electric on demand heater died this week, currently running off of our indirect hot water heater (run by the oil boiler that also heats the house). Looking at replacement options and have heard many good things about tankless propane heaters from our heating guy and my uncle (who is a plumber).
Any negatives other than inital cost?
We dont currently have propane, but would like to put in a propane stove at some point and would like to avoid something like this heater (it pulls 80+ amps at 220v when running full tilt, makes the lights in the house dim a little when it kicks in) for the future, so another tankless electric unit is out.

Thanks

Aaron Z

/ New hot water heater options, Tankless vs Tank... Electric vs Propane. #2  
Propane is getting cheaper good choice work great cost about 1000 plus installation

/ New hot water heater options, Tankless vs Tank... Electric vs Propane. #3  
Just went through all the options for a new hot water heater. A propane tankless with 180,000 btu would go around $2900.00 to put in my place (Tankless/Labor). I opted to put in another propane gas 40 gal tank heater for 610.00( no labor). I would have gone with the tankless if I was going to stay in the house and not sell. I got 12 yrs. out of the old hot water tank before it sprung a leak. Might of got a few more years if I drained it once in awhile.

/ New hot water heater options, Tankless vs Tank... Electric vs Propane. #4  
You should take a look at the GE Geospring hot water heater. It combines a traditional heater with a heat pump for efficiency.
I would have gotten one when we built our house in 2010, but had already committed to using our geothermal system for part of our hot water.
My MIL is having one installed next month. She has propane on demand, but doesn't like the system because of the monthly cost of propane ($90)
Her projected cost for the Geospring is $20/month.

/ New hot water heater options, Tankless vs Tank... Electric vs Propane. #5  
Depends on a few things. Do you have hard water? Hard water is tough on tankless heaters clogging the heating loop. What is wrong with your indirect??? Oil is still a bit cheaper to heat water than electric and it can heat it faster. Last year I ran some numbers and around here Oil would have to be $5.00 a gallon to be the same as oil. This is assuming you have a cold start boiler. I have also been told that it is better for your boiler to run all year. Propane or NG is the cheapest.

/ New hot water heater options, Tankless vs Tank... Electric vs Propane.
On city water, but still have some issues with scale, so not sure exactly how hard it is. Indirect is working fine (that is what we are currently getting hot water), just IIRC, it is slightly spendy to use in the summer. The oil boiler is an 86% efficient (per the EPA sheet on it) cast iron boiler (Valliant F100-40he with a Reillo gun).
We have been shutting down the indirect in late April and just using the on demand.

Aaron Z

/ New hot water heater options, Tankless vs Tank... Electric vs Propane. #8  
You should take a look at the GE Geospring hot water heater. It combines a traditional heater with a heat pump for efficiency.
I would have gotten one when we built our house in 2010, but had already committed to using our geothermal system for part of our hot water.
My MIL is having one installed next month. She has propane on demand, but doesn't like the system because of the monthly cost of propane ($90)
Her projected cost for the Geospring is $20/month.

I have the GE one with the heat pump. It did reduce my electric bill, but I don't really know how much since I don't have a good way to track just HW heating cost. My unit had a freon leak awhile back, and GE fixed it no cost, even though it was out of warranty. One thing, it has electric also, so I was not without hot water.

/ New hot water heater options, Tankless vs Tank... Electric vs Propane. #9  
I know quite a few people that have gas on demand heaters. And while i do like them myself, the reason i know of these people is cause they call my company to find out why their heaters arnt working. I cant count the number of circuit boards ive had to replace over the years.... my mind is too far gone

But its alot.

Just last week i had a friend of mine lose his 2nd unit in 1 year. these are top of the line german made units...cost over $4,000 new. Last year they replaced the entire unit under warranty. The unit went out again.

I have two direct vent tank units, each propane rated 40 gal inline. I never run out of hot water. One unit heats the water and the other basically just holds it. If one were to fail, i have a backup. Their 5 years old...no issues. I did have to hook them up to the generator system cause of the exhaust fans and ignition systems

the old pilot light systems were BEST.....

the last electric on demand i hooked up earlier this year took 3 separate 40 amp circuits to operate...and their lights dimmed when it was working. And that house had a 400 amp service.

/ New hot water heater options, Tankless vs Tank... Electric vs Propane. #10  
I have the Tagaki T-K jr. One in operation since 2006, 3 others since 2007, I clean the input filter about annually (sometimes I forget). I have 3 here at the house due to the long distances, 1 for matter bath, 1 for kit hen, laundry, bath, 1 for bedroom suites w/full baths. The 4th is my cottage, about 350 ft from house.

Have you looked at solar?

Cost is comparable to a tank type, about $600+. I wouldn't own one of the name brand German ones - too many stories.

David Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet