spreading mulch with a tractor

/ spreading mulch with a tractor #1  

tractchores

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota b2920
I'm mid way through my annual mulch spreading on flower beds around the house. I have to spread around 8 or 9 yards once a year. My normal method is to scoop up a bucket load, drive and position the bucket and then throw it by hand on the beds. In areas where I can't or don't want to take a tractor I fill a wheel barrel with the FEL and use that.

My big question is - is there a better way to spread mulch with a tractor? Right now it takes a solid 5 -8 hours depending on how hard I work (usually am doing it myself). Is there a better way?

/ spreading mulch with a tractor #2  
get rid of the flower beds? :)

/ spreading mulch with a tractor
get rid of the flower beds? :)

Then I have to mow it! It'd be nice to let it just grow up and mow it a few times a year, but the wife won't accept that.

/ spreading mulch with a tractor #4  
mowings easier than mulching in my book.

my last house I had landscaped beds around the perimeter of the house and around a tree inthe front yard.. and onthe sides.

insurance co on my next house advised against them due to moisture and wood debris near house / termites. I was happy too.

I just mow now. :)

/ spreading mulch with a tractor #5  
You drive the tractor and "let" your wife spread the mulch.:thumbsup:

/ spreading mulch with a tractor #6  
Get a pto manure spreader, fill with mulch, back up to the area to be spreading mulch and ingage pto... watch the mulch fly!

mark

/ spreading mulch with a tractor #8  
Tratchores.

I use the FEL bucket and make small piles in beds and at the edge where I can reach with the FEL then use a rake to push around.

For those other areas deeper in beds maybe 30% I use a wheelbarrow I fill with mulch at the pile using the FEL.

Takes most of a day to do 15 yards.

/ spreading mulch with a tractor #9  
Use a big flat shovel, I have an old shovel from my grams coal bin that holds a lot of mulch. I find its easier to throw the mulch into position then move it by hand/rake if needed.

/ spreading mulch with a tractor #10  
I pile in the front of the beds with the FEL and then rake back....I put down 15 yards a year around my house....