Stopping mosquitoes

/ Stopping mosquitoes #1  

MillWeld

Gold Member
Tractor
Ford 641
I have a 30 foot cistern overflow drainpipe (6" dia) and mosquitoes fly all the way up it to lay eggs in the water inside the cistern. (The cistern collects rainwater from the roof for the garden) I need a way to allow overflow water to exit but stop mosquitoes. I have thought of slipping an inner tube over the exit to act as a sort of pinch valve. Idea is that the tube will collapse when no water is flowing and stop the little pests. It's hard to find a junk inner tube nowadays so I thought I would ask for alternate suggestions before I buy a new one.
Bob

/ Stopping mosquitoes #4  
An old pair of panty hose?

mark

/ Stopping mosquitoes #5  
I have a 30 foot cistern overflow drainpipe (6" dia) and mosquitoes fly all the way up it to lay eggs in the water inside the cistern. (The cistern collects rainwater from the roof for the garden) I need a way to allow overflow water to exit but stop mosquitoes. I have thought of slipping an inner tube over the exit to act as a sort of pinch valve. Idea is that the tube will collapse when no water is flowing and stop the little pests. It's hard to find a junk inner tube nowadays so I thought I would ask for alternate suggestions before I buy a new one.
Bob

How about a "46-Inch Automatic Recoiling Downspout" made by Raindrain?

Amazon.com: Raindrain 46-Inch Automatic Recoiling Downspout - Green URD46GR: Patio, Lawn & Garden

51kAcUp937L.jpg

/ Stopping mosquitoes
Okay, I've got ideas now, thanks.
Don't want too use any kind of filtration because of pollen in the spring and other unavoidable suspended fine particles. I thought of a trap but it would freeze in the winter. I think what I'll go for is the Mozzie Stoppa (funny name but it looks like what I want). Thanks!. Their web site did not give dimensions so I will contact them tomorrow.
Bob