deer plot/plots???

/ deer plot/plots??? #21  
No apologies here for hunting deer legally in the Northwest Piedmont of NC - baiting or food plots or both are legal here. My immediate family has had six deer strikes with cars which is equal to my best season with bow, black powder and rifle combined. But the costs out of pocket and through insurance eclipse the cost of ALL my hunting firearms - one deer strike cost $3,800 the next cost $2,700.

The last four years have seen record deer harvests in our county (over 2,600 two of he last four and over 2200 all of the last four). We have 2+ bucks per square mile in our county. I can't begin to estimate the crop damage we've experienced just from deer - discounting turkeys and raccoon damages to corn, beans and sweet potatoes just on our farm. Forget the garden damage that I now prevent with a 7 foot fence that cost several HUNDRED dollars.

If one wants to have heart burn, consider my neighbor who killed over 40 deer in his sweet potato crop. He left them to die and decay. All I ever shoot end up in my freezer and subsequently on my family's dinnerr table.

/ deer plot/plots??? #22  
I do a lot of "baiting". I put out bird seed to bait wild birds so that I can better see them better. I put out hummingbird feeders to bait hummingbirds so that I can see them better. And I plant food plots to bait deer so that I can see them better. Or I could do nothing at all and criticize those that do. I do have options.

/ deer plot/plots??? #23  
Thanks for the perspective, whistle pig.

/ deer plot/plots???
:applause:Many thanks to all for the responses. I will do the development thang....and encircle it with Fish line and streamers. In the middle of the woods would a SOLAR powered electric fence work? ....there is "direct" sunlight for about 3 hours a day, then in shadows.
BTW, Ted, I agree entirely, food plots are NOT baiting....and let's not COMPLAIN about too many deer or the helpful feds will bring in hundreds of WOLVES, more Coyotes and put them on "no kill" lists.... I'm starting to see many coyotes on my trail cams, and I don't like it. Those dawgs kill fawns, turkeys, rabbits, grouse and are downright scary to.....ME!!!
Thanks again guys.
Rob

/ deer plot/plots??? #25  
thanks for the pictures

/ deer plot/plots??? #26  
In KS., we can't bait migratory birds, but if I put corn/grain out for turkeys and the geese get it, I suppose I would have to shoot them. The silly bird's ignorance of the law is no excuse.

/ deer plot/plots??? #27  
I wouldn't count on the solar charger unless you put it up on a tall post to increase the hours of sunlight.. I have a couple of marine batteries that I swap to the food plots.