Chickens ?????

/ Chickens ?????
If you know this, ignore it.

If you start with day old chicks, you need to brood them until they toughen up a bit. You will need a draft free, protected location, indoors is best. A heat lamp, chick feeder and water trays. Some shavings or other bedding. If you have just a few, a large, not too deep cardboard box with top cut off works fine as long as you keep it clean.
Thanks Dave1949, have a large Rubbermaid tub for the beginning, just wish she would've done this a month back when Tractor supply had them !

/ Chickens ????? #12  
Get the chicks now. You've got 6 weeks in the brooder to get the coop built. If you get them now, they'll start laying in the fall...if you wait much longer there's a chance they won't start until the following spring. Mine started laying at 20 weeks, but if they come of age when days are short, they don't start.

BTW...you won't regret it. Love my girls. The wife and I call it Chicken TV.

One more thing...knock together a simple frame and cover top and sides (but not the bottom) with chicken wire. Just as soon as weather is decent, get the chicks outside as much as possible during the daytime. They'll be healthier, happier, and grow faster and stronger.

/ Chickens ????? #13  
Most of our local "feed and seed" stores also carry chicks in addition to Tractor Supply. You may want to check your local feed and seeds.

/ Chickens ????? #14  
If you where close, I would fix you up. I have been incubating and selling chicks for several years. I am sure there is someone in your area that does as i do. Go to the backyard chicken forum and do a little digging around. I can about guarantee that there is someone on that site close to where you are located that can help you out. Here is a link to Ny chicken owners on that site, NY chicken lover!!!!. Theres over 20,000 post in that one thread alone so surely someone there can help you out

/ Chickens ?????
Thanks all ! Sounds like there's gonna be a grand time !!! Found 1 guy close that has 12 week olds for $5 each , sounds like a good deal to me !! Again thanks for all the help and I'll turn the wife loose on that site NY chicken lover, have the grandaughter white washing the coop, then she wants to paint it barn style, I'll post pics when it's done !

/ Chickens ????? #17  
Hi all, the wife wants to do chickens as a project for her and the grandaughter, all the tractor supply's are out of chicks any thought as to where to get laying hens in the WNY area ? Thanks

I am sure you can get some chicks mailed to you. Yes I said mail <grin>

Walked into my local post office last week to mail a package , looked over the counter to find out what the noise was and it was a box of chicks. I asked the clerk about it and she said they had them come through all the time. "As long as the postage is paid you can mail them anywhere in the US"

/ Chickens ?????
Hi all just got the chickens !!! They are about 12 weeks old, which means they should start laying in about a month or so ! Wife can't wait, thanks for all the help !! Looking to get some pics of the coop, run and chickens in the morning so I can post them !

/ Chickens ????? #19  
Cluck Cluck! Good Luck.

Looking forward to pics. Watch out for critters.

/ Chickens ?????
Cluck Cluck! Good Luck.

Looking forward to pics. Watch out for critters.
thanks Dave 1949, the coop is outside the bedroom window and the 22 is ready !!!!