Chickens ?????

/ Chickens ????? #1  

BobsMassey

Bronze Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1529
Hi all, the wife wants to do chickens as a project for her and the grandaughter, all the tractor supply's are out of chicks any thought as to where to get laying hens in the WNY area ? Thanks

/ Chickens ????? #2  
there are a lot of hatcheries that will ship day old chicks.

/ Chickens ????? #3  
I just bought 3 chickens this morning from a lady my wife found on some Facebook group. You should probably be able to find some local in the paper or on Craigslist I would think. They're a dime a dozen around here. There's probably 15 listings at least on my local Craigslist. Hopefully you can find some on there too. Do you have any livestock auction nearby? Bought 4 goats at auction yesterday at great prices. They sale chickens too along with many other livestock.

/ Chickens ?????
Thanks randy41 will look that up

/ Chickens ?????
I just bought 3 chickens this morning from a lady my wife found on some Facebook group. You should probably be able to find some local in the paper or on Craigslist I would think. They're a dime a dozen around here. There's probably 15 listings at least on my local Craigslist. Hopefully you can find some on there too. Do you have any livestock auction nearby? Bought 4 goats at auction yesterday at great prices. They sale chickens too along with many other livestock.
Thanks cletus99. The problem with the auction around here is they sell them when they are about done laying ! Will check Craigslist for someone local thanks again

/ Chickens ????? #7  
Mt. Healthy hatchery is out of Cincinnati area is much closer to you than Murray mcMurray in Iowa. Not as good of selection but better pricing.

/ Chickens ?????
Mt. Healthy hatchery is out of Cincinnati area is much closer to you than Murray mcMurray in Iowa. Not as good of selection but better pricing.

Thanks Creamer ! Will put the wife on that task of finding her birds !

/ Chickens ????? #10  
If you know this, ignore it.

If you start with day old chicks, you need to brood them until they toughen up a bit. You will need a draft free, protected location, indoors is best. A heat lamp, chick feeder and water trays. Some shavings or other bedding. If you have just a few, a large, not too deep cardboard box with top cut off works fine as long as you keep it clean.