Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 33
  1. #1
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    78
    Location
    E.Aurora, NY
    Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 1529

    Default Chickens ?????

    Hi all, the wife wants to do chickens as a project for her and the grandaughter, all the tractor supply's are out of chicks any thought as to where to get laying hens in the WNY area ? Thanks

  2. #2
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,549
    Location
    Southwest VA

    Default Re: Chickens ?????

    there are a lot of hatcheries that will ship day old chicks.

  3. #3
    Gold Member cletus99's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    281
    Location
    Doerun, GA
    Tractor
    2011 Kubota L3800HST

    Default Re: Chickens ?????

    I just bought 3 chickens this morning from a lady my wife found on some Facebook group. You should probably be able to find some local in the paper or on Craigslist I would think. They're a dime a dozen around here. There's probably 15 listings at least on my local Craigslist. Hopefully you can find some on there too. Do you have any livestock auction nearby? Bought 4 goats at auction yesterday at great prices. They sale chickens too along with many other livestock.

  4. #4
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    78
    Location
    E.Aurora, NY
    Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 1529

    Default Re: Chickens ?????

    Thanks randy41 will look that up

  5. #5
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    78
    Location
    E.Aurora, NY
    Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 1529

    Default Re: Chickens ?????

    Quote Originally Posted by cletus99 View Post
    I just bought 3 chickens this morning from a lady my wife found on some Facebook group. You should probably be able to find some local in the paper or on Craigslist I would think. They're a dime a dozen around here. There's probably 15 listings at least on my local Craigslist. Hopefully you can find some on there too. Do you have any livestock auction nearby? Bought 4 goats at auction yesterday at great prices. They sale chickens too along with many other livestock.
    Thanks cletus99. The problem with the auction around here is they sell them when they are about done laying ! Will check Craigslist for someone local thanks again

  6. #6
    Gold Member cletus99's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    281
    Location
    Doerun, GA
    Tractor
    2011 Kubota L3800HST

    Default Re: Chickens ?????

    Here's a website a guy I work with has bought chickens from before.

    Murray McMurray Hatchery

  7. #7
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    438
    Location
    Albion, Indiana
    Tractor
    1710 Ford

    Default Re: Chickens ?????

    Mt. Healthy hatchery is out of Cincinnati area is much closer to you than Murray mcMurray in Iowa. Not as good of selection but better pricing.

  8. #8
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    78
    Location
    E.Aurora, NY
    Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 1529

    Default Re: Chickens ?????

    Quote Originally Posted by cletus99 View Post
    Here's a website a guy I work with has bought chickens from before.

    Murray McMurray Hatchery
    Thanks Cletus that helps ! Now I've got to build a coop ! Got some pallets think I'll work with them first

  9. #9
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    78
    Location
    E.Aurora, NY
    Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 1529

    Default Re: Chickens ?????

    Quote Originally Posted by Creamer View Post
    Mt. Healthy hatchery is out of Cincinnati area is much closer to you than Murray mcMurray in Iowa. Not as good of selection but better pricing.
    Thanks Creamer ! Will put the wife on that task of finding her birds !

  10. #10
    Super Member dave1949's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    9,559
    Location
    Industry, Maine
    Tractor
    New Holland TC40

    Default Re: Chickens ?????

    If you know this, ignore it.

    If you start with day old chicks, you need to brood them until they toughen up a bit. You will need a draft free, protected location, indoors is best. A heat lamp, chick feeder and water trays. Some shavings or other bedding. If you have just a few, a large, not too deep cardboard box with top cut off works fine as long as you keep it clean.
    "Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end ..."
    When there is a huge solar energy spill, it is called a "nice day"!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. chickens
    By dlabrie in forum Rural Living
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 06-29-2014, 05:21 PM
  2. How many chickens?
    By czechsonofagun in forum Rural Living
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 12-08-2011, 04:54 PM
  3. Chickens
    By Patriotic Stabilist in forum Rural Living
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 05-19-2011, 05:43 PM
  4. Chickens
    By chucko in forum Related Topics
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-08-2005, 10:52 AM
  5. chickens
    By ebeacham in forum Related Topics
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 09-13-2003, 06:24 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2014 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.