How do I join ABS pipe to PVC pipe?

/ How do I join ABS pipe to PVC pipe? #1  

ben2go

Gold Member
I know I could probably "google" it,but I'd rather hear from people that have successfully done it.I am still working on the mobile home I been posting about the past few months.I just completed replacing the main sewer line to the septic tank after a back up ruined the bathroom and floor.Now I am moving onto replacing the toilet.It requires a 4inch flange which means I need to replace the plumbing stack.The plumbing stack has the sink and tub drains ran into it.The stack is ABS as is the drain lines that run into it.I am rebuilding the stack with PVC.What do I need to use to "glue" the ABS to the PVC?The Lowe's cadet looked at me as if I had ask him about him mum and dad's bedroom life. :laughing:

Thanks in advance for all the help you all give me.

/ How do I join ABS pipe to PVC pipe? #3  
1. Rebuild the stack with ABS.

2. Use a threaded connector

I've had no luck combining the two with glue. My sizes never matched for a slip fit.

Bruce

/ How do I join ABS pipe to PVC pipe? #5  
Some will say ABS to PVC is a no-no. But regular PVC glue will work fine for a non pressurized fitting, such as your drain.

/ How do I join ABS pipe to PVC pipe? #6  
Ben:

Normal PVC glue (any of the particular formulas made for gluing PVC) will also glue ABS and will glue pvc to abs. If you research doing it however, you will read that it is not recommended, and the reason is that PVC and ABS have different thermal expansion properties (they expand and contract at different rates and at different temperatures). Theoretically, a pvc/abs joint on drain pipe could be subject to a lot of temperature swings if it were downstream of a shower or washing machine, and over time could be compromised because of the different expansion rates. That said, I know many plumbers and contractors, including myself, that have had no choice but to glue the two together in some situations, and in practical reality, I've never heard of anyone ever having a problem with a pvc/abs joint. Personally, I would say go for it and forget it. I might ad, I have no idea what an inspector might say about it, if your work will be inspected under a permit. In fact, I'm not sure any inspectors I've ever worked with would know the difference.

/ How do I join ABS pipe to PVC pipe? #7  
Don't know for sure , but thinking it is not possible as sizes are different . 4" pvc o.d. being different than 4" abs o.d. ???? Not saying you cannot join them , just not sure if there are connections like that .
I had something similar when One brother and I redid our parents toilet and bathroom . Had to rebuild the floor , then with new flange things were not lining up with old cast iron pipe . Ended up cutting cast iron pipe down lower and using a rubber clamp connector to seal to 2 pieces of pipe . The 4" Abs was virtually touching the 4" cast iron , end to end , but that was the only thing we could find to seal the pipes together . Two large stainless clamps on each side , thus joint will likely out live me and my brother .

Fred H.

From internet , type of clamp I referenced :

FH02APR_CONPIP_01.JPG

/ How do I join ABS pipe to PVC pipe? #8  
Don't know for sure , but thinking it is not possible as sizes are different . 4" pvc o.d. being different than 4" abs o.d. ???? Not saying you cannot join them , just not sure if there are connections like that .
I had something similar when One brother and I redid our parents toilet and bathroom . Had to rebuild the floor , then with new flange things were not lining up with old cast iron pipe . Ended up cutting cast iron pipe down lower and using a rubber clamp connector to seal to 2 pieces of pipe . The 4" Abs was virtually touching the 4" cast iron , end to end , but that was the only thing we could find to seal the pipes together . Two large stainless clamps on each side , thus joint will likely out live me and my brother .

Fred H.

The world would be a crappy place without fernco's. :laughing:

/ How do I join ABS pipe to PVC pipe? #9  
" The world would be a crappy place without fernco's. "

At least under Our Parents House it would of been :)

Fred H.

/ How do I join ABS pipe to PVC pipe? #10  
Yes... and if you are really concerned... you can buy them with 4 hose clamps instead of two.