Replacement windows and siding begin

/ Replacement windows and siding begin #1  

Bamaram

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ford 4000
Hello everyone. I've been following several threads here for quite a while now. I've really enjoyed Obed and PClausen's threads dealing with home building. I've noticed the community here has been great to offer useful suggestions and years of knowledge. I do not have near as interesting of a project as those guys, but I still need the community's help. I have searched through several contractors and finally found a well known and trusted one. The guy has been in business over 40 years and is the most preferred by several general contractors and other tradesmen in the area. What a process that was! He will be starting tomorrow replacing 24 windows and installing Mitten vinyl siding over the entire house, new gutters, and shutters. There will also be various other additions such as new lights, railing, and landscape lighting. Here is a little background and project scope. We bought the 2500 square feet house over a year ago in foreclosure knowing this was going to be something we would deal with. My wife and I went into this home knowing we wanted to upgrade and add our own touch. Currently we have old wood windows and Masonite siding. We enclosed all but three of the sun room windows on the back of the house as it was poorly constructed and in serious need of repair. We also had to rebuild the chimney and replace the roof and several sheets of decking. I had a local roofing company replace the tired old 3 tab shingles with GAF HD shingles 3 months ago. I plan on posting several current pictures as well as documenting the process over the next week or more. I'll be asking for everyone's opinion on what is going on and any potential problems anyone may see. In short, pictures, pictures, pictures! With that said, to the pictures we go!

Here is the home before enclosing the sun room and replacing the roof.

With new roof installed.

With sun room enclosed and chimney rebuilt. The three middle windows will be have new construction windows installed.

A new chimney topper will be installed as well.

A few various close up shots.

For the record, I wasn't the lazy bum who put a vent in the crawlspace vent.

Now to the absolute UGLY!

If I did not have to clean it up, I'd throw a framing hammer through this thing. This window will be enclosed. It is part of my next project to remodel the master bath.

All advice is highly appreciated! I will post photos of tomorrow's progress and check in frequently to answer any questions and gain knowledge! Thanks in advance!

/ Replacement windows and siding begin
Today was a little slow getting everything setup and all the material here. All twenty four windows were removed and the new were set in place. Here are a few pictures of today's events.

Windows being installed.

Removing some rotten wood.

New windows in the sun room.

/ Replacement windows and siding begin #3  
People do some silly things. One of our houses we bought to fix up and resell had an outlet hooked up a crawl space vent. Cut the vent screen so you could plug cords into it.

Replacement windows are a very simple item, not too much to mess up if they are ordered the correct size. Most have adjustment screws in the middle that you screw out till they contact the wood so that the vinyl can't spread and allow air to pass through as easily. The two biggest things is to make sure the windows are pushed out all the way to the stops and that they work freely. What type of insulation are they using around them?

People do some silly things. One of our houses we bought to fix up and resell had an outlet hooked up a crawl space vent. Cut the vent screen so you could plug cords into it.

Replacement windows are a very simple item, not too much to mess up if they are ordered the correct size. Most have adjustment screws in the middle that you screw out till they contact the wood so that the vinyl can't spread and allow air to pass through as easily. The two biggest things is to make sure the windows are pushed out all the way to the stops and that they work freely. What type of insulation are they using around them?

You are very right! Our house was very neglected on the outside and in the sun room. The rest of the home has been better maintained, but that is not saying a lot! The insulation going up is ABT Advanced Wrap found here ABT Foam, Advanced Wrap, fanfold insulation, home insulation, EPS insulation.

the windows are finished up and the two crews began siding work today. Interesting how simple the siding goes up and how precise the cuts have to be. That stuff really hides all the imperfections from the old Masonite. I'll have more pictures this afternoon.

Day 2 got under way but one crew had to leave early, so progress wasn't as much as I'd hoped to see. Does anyone have any incite on just how fast a crew of two men should move? I feel the crews are moving adequately and if it takes a little longer than expected, but a quality job is produced I'm okay with that. I broke out the cheap Harbor Freight paint sprayer this morning and sprayed my house panel, crawlspace access, and crawlspace vents. I was impressed with the results. Now, if the sprayer will work again, is another matter! I'll post those pictures tomorrow.

Supplies

Up close shot of the insulation

First crew's half day progress

Second crew's half day progress

/ Replacement windows and siding begin #7  
That is a fine looking Home. After all the projects are completed, You and your Wife will have a Home that anyone would be proud to own. Best wishes. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks for the kind words fellas. It has been a long road to here, but hard work, perseverance, and faith in God make anything possible. I worked until after dark yesterday so the following are pictures from today. We are going to be battling rain tomorrow and Saturday, but maybe the guys will be able to get a few hours in.

/ Replacement windows and siding begin #9  
I couldn't resist after how lovingly you spoke of that window! :) DSCN3110_zps9e0caf7a.jpg

I couldn't resist after how lovingly you spoke of that window! :)View attachment 315995

Haha! I'm so glad that thing is gone. When you look at listings and see a stain glass window you expect something other than that! One of the workers said he would take it if I didn't want it. To say I was glad to see it go is a huge understatement!