Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tractor
    Bobcat CT225

Quote Originally Posted by tractchores
    What's the orange layer? Stone dust? How did you get it so nice and level? I've got 2 big walkways with natural stone to redo shortly, thinking its a rip and replace job and want to do it right the first time. Speaking of wives mine yesterday claimed that I need "approval" from her for my next project, seems she thinks I'm going to kill myself with all these tractor related projects!
    I laid down 3/4 gravel for the base, followed by 3-4 inches of limestone screenings packed down, then a top layer of sand. I got a 1/2 ton bag of masonry sand from Lowes...laid down 2 lengths of 1" PVC, and laid a 2x4 down to screed the sand level...once the prep was done the lay out of the bricks went quick.
    Bobcat CT225

...and not enough time to get everything I want to get done.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota b2920

Default Re: New walkway...

Quote Originally Posted by gregfender View Post
    I laid down 3/4 gravel for the base, followed by 3-4 inches of limestone screenings packed down, then a top layer of sand. I got a 1/2 ton bag of masonry sand from Lowes...laid down 2 lengths of 1" PVC, and laid a 2x4 down to screed the sand level...once the prep was done the lay out of the bricks went quick.
    Thanks, looks great. I'll have to try that method of levelling, sounds like a good way to do it.

Tractor
    A couple

Check out Pavestone's website as they have good instructions on how to construct a sidewalk or driveway, and it uses compacted sand as a base in a manner similar to what the OP did.

Pavestone | Pavers, Retaining Walls, Patio Stones & Edging
    Paraphrasing Douglas Adams - So long and thanks for all the bacon.

Bronze Member

Generally, when in doing that type of work (call it block paving over here), we put the screed layer down using dry sharp (concreting) sand mixed with cement, so you can screed to a lovely finish, but, once the blocks are laid, then vibrated in using a wacker plate, they're totally solid, and the water sets the concrete solid too. Usually brush in silica sand to fill the joints too.

Tractor
    Kubota L3130DT, Kubota L185DT, JD LX277

Nice job Greg. It does not matter what kind of shape you are in. If you do something your body is not used to you will pay the price I usually do good until I sit down in the recliner on Saturday night. Its when I get up that I realize I am not as young as I use to be!!
    I suffer from MPD...Multiple Project Disorder

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12