How BIG a splitter do I need for this project?

/ How BIG a splitter do I need for this project? #1  

Arkaybee

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 850; Kubota Grand L 3830
This was a "free" bit of firewood but I don't think it will be free of work.
So, how big a splitter do I need for this?
Here's the REST OF THE STORY:

My neighbor's SWMBO told him that the big oak (red oak family) in the front yard had to go so grass would grow. He hired a man to put it on the ground. The tree was 42 inches in diameter at about 4 1/2 -5 feet above ground where the the felling cut was made. The tree was sound, healthy, had no internal rot and was not hollow-- a shame to cut it down but . . . (Recently I counted the growth rings and it was 75-80 years old.) A few days later I saw him dragging a block by chain and truck to his burn pile. He got his truck stuck so I pulled him out with my Kubota Grand L 3830. Mission accomplished . I asked him what he was going to do with the tree. He said they were going to burn it on their burn pile. I asked why. He said they didn't know what else to do with it. I said that I would take it for firewood if that was OK. He agreed but added that SWMBO wanted it moved out of the front yard as soon as possible and afterward I could take as long as I needed to get it split. Before we could move some of the blocks he had to cut them again. He rented a Stihl 440 with a 36 inch bar. That is a real man-sized saw and it really sliced through that big tree. He had to cut from both sides to cut it all the way through. My 3830 wouldn't lift the large blocks because of lack of ballast on the rear. Another neighbor came over and brought his somewhat larger Kubota with a large Rhino bushhog on the back but he couldn't get the block into the bucket. It took my tractor pushing and restraining the block while he got his bucket lip under the block and then I could lift and push it further onto the bucket. He only lifted the bucket containing the block a scant few inches off the ground while the bushhog bounced a bit and then slowly moved them into the side yard and stood them on their sides so they could dry out before attempting to split them.

So, what do you recommend for splitting these monsters. I've not seen a hydraulic splitter that would handle these. Don't know how one would get them onto the splitter or under it either.

Decided to let it dry for a few weeks and begin to shrink and show the primary cracks.

Did I bite off more than can be chewed?:confused2:

This may be old school.:eek:

Progress report to follow. P3280747.JPGP3280748.JPGP3280751.JPG

/ How BIG a splitter do I need for this project? #2  
I have cut big chunks like that into quarters with my chainsaw instead of splitting them. That way a partner and I can handle them.

A 3 point vertical splitter is your best bet. Second choice would be a standalone vertical splitter. I woul think 20 plus tons would be the starting point for the splitter.

/ How BIG a splitter do I need for this project? #3  
I've split some rounds that big. One option is to cut them down with a saw. Cut from the side, not the end grain, or you will quickly dull your blade. From the side, you will pull out strips of grain, known as "noodling" because they look like noodles. The other option is wedges and a sledge. Don't try to split down the middle. Start about six inches in from the edge and break off sections around the circumference, like unrolling a roll of paper.

/ How BIG a splitter do I need for this project? #4  
A couple of 15 year olds should do the trick.

/ How BIG a splitter do I need for this project? #5  
The only problem with 15 year olds is you can't possibly have enough handles for mauls or hammers if they are splitting by hand! You can imagine how I know!

/ How BIG a splitter do I need for this project? #6  
Ditto on either the noodling or a vertical splitter. We have split many rounds that size. Weather we noodle or use the splitter just depends on weather we have the splitter in the woods that day, or were just planning on hauling home to split.

/ How BIG a splitter do I need for this project? #7  
The wife and I use log tongs in the end grain on rounds that big,, We pick them up with the bh and then lower them onto the splitter.. Just watch out when the split piece falls ,, We use a 23 ton splitter,,,

Do take some pic's when you do it so we can see ,,,,

/ How BIG a splitter do I need for this project? #8  
Thats why they make horizontal / verticle splitters. I busted up a Rock Maple with mine....almost 48" across at the base. My B3030 could only lift the rounds by curling the bucket. Makes alot of firewood fast.

SugarMaple001-2.jpg

SugarMaple008.jpg

SugarMaple003-1.jpg

SugarMaple011.jpg

SugarMaple010.jpg

/ How BIG a splitter do I need for this project? #9  
Ductape, they split better frozen don't they?

/ How BIG a splitter do I need for this project? #10  
I would rent one of these. :laughing:

Attachments

• Log Splitter.jpg
    Log Splitter.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 270