Jim's Pole Barn Project - hopefully

/ Jim's Pole Barn Project - hopefully
Re: Jim\'s Pole Barn Project - hopefully

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Well Jim,No wonder the shed would'nt move...with 2 Chevys hooked up to it... Just kidding of course )</font>

Especially when they both need tires. I've got 71k on the factory Firestone junk that weren't good to start with and now are even worse. Dad used to have a pretty good set of Dayton's on his truck but were recently take off because of age. He put a set of used Goodyear Wrangler RT/S on it as he is looking at upgrading trucks here shortly. Truck still runs great and is a pulling son of a gun, but he is going to look funny riding on the frame rail and a motor out front. Can't complain though for a 25 year old truck w/ 15 year old aftermarket parts. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Jim's Pole Barn Project - hopefully #12  

Well, reminds me of doing basically the same thing. Bought a shed very similar to yours from a neighbor ($200) couldn't pass up that deal we just had to move it by the weekend. All I had was an S10 4x4 with a V-6. We jacked up the building and put 4x4 posts under it. Bolted the building with metal strap to the 4x4's. Drilled for eye bolts in the ends of the 4x4's. The S10 pulled it by it's self about 75 yards to it's new home! If I can find the pictures, I'll post them.

Mick

/ Jim's Pole Barn Project - hopefully #13  

Yea,That vintage Chevy was bad about rotting out,but still "Like a Rock"

Told you the tires on my truck were needing replaced. Had one blow this morning on my way to work. Didn't really blow, but went down real fast. I was actually surprised the jack that came w/ the truck actually worked. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Does this count as an official start? I've got all of the holes dug and gravel put in the bottom of them. The only thing I've done since these pictures was I put some concrete in the bottom of 16 of 24. Will try to get the other 8 done one day this week. I ordered the poles, girders and the trusses on Saturday. Poles should be here this afternoon and the trusses ????. They will come straight from the factory. The salesman was going to try to talk the manager into giving me a Bostich coil roofing nailer. We'll see on that one.

Attachments

• 308548-MVC-077F.JPG
    308548-MVC-077F.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 1,216

Another shot. A little bit better shot of the tractor and post hole digger. I'd thank the guy that loaned me the post hole digger but I don't know his name. My neighbor borrowed from him for me to use. Neighbor also told me I could use his electronic water level when I start to put up the top girder. I think I've got a pretty good neighbor. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Attachments

• 308551-MVC-078F.JPG
    308551-MVC-078F.JPG
    94.1 KB · Views: 1,080
   / Jim's Pole Barn Project - hopefully #17  

SIR,
forgive me for saying this, but your 30X48 will not be large enough.
i have a 30X50, and it is not big enough. if you plan to store all of
the vehicles, and still have a shop, you need to go with a much
larger building. i sure wish i had. i need it 2 times larger now, and
with that i still think it would not hold everything i have. i was
surfing another website, and this subject came up, and the question
was how large is large enough? the answer. figure how much space
you will need, double it, and add 30%. this would come close to what
i need now.
good luck with your projects.
accordionman
william l. brown

/ Jim's Pole Barn Project - hopefully #18  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Does this count as an official start? )</font>

Jim, I would say that does count as an official start but I am not sure that it is the best place to start. If at some point you want a cement floor in the pole barn you will have to remove all of that grass and topsoil. Even if you don't plan on having a cement floor right away it would be easiest to remove the grass and topsoil before the poles go up. This is just my opinion so maybe others will jump in here with theirs. I sure do enjoy the pic's so keep them coming.

Spence

/ Jim's Pole Barn Project - hopefully #19  

Jim: An interesting train. I've got a couple of questions.

Did you try to lift the end of the shed nearest your truck before moving it to break the adhesion to the ground?

If you had attached the truck to the shed with a very short connection, like 2 or 3 feet do you think it would have given some lift to the towed end of the shed and consequently some downward pressure on the rear of the pickup?

Was the bed of the pickup empty, and if so would some weight have helped?

Good job,. Necessity is the mother of invention.

Any chance of seeing a framing layout picture for the poles at least?

Thanks

Joe

Didn't try to lift the shed before the move, but did try to lift it so that we could "turn" to get it straight and the tractor wouldn't do it. When we went to put some blocks under the front we dug a hole and used a floor jack.

At one point I did have a short connection, but since I ended up having to wrap the strap around the shed I don't really think it would have provided any lift.

Yes, both truck beds were empty other than my normal junk that always seems to stay in my bed.

I'll see if I can get a scan the layout. What I'm using was drawn up by Carter Lumber's Corporate office and then faxed. Pretty hard to read. Might have to scan and then enhance. Give me a little time. I've made one change to it and that is to allow a door on the side to take the tractor in and out of.