Planting some trees..fruit trees

/ Planting some trees..fruit trees #11  
   / Planting some trees..fruit trees #12  
Some of theese places offer very nice print catalogues for free with lots of good info. Dave

/ Planting some trees..fruit trees #13  
Excellent links Dave
We have been thinking about planting some antique apple varieties to fill out our orchard. Very helpful information in this post.
Thanks, Mike

/ Planting some trees..fruit trees #14  
I'm glad they helped out. I recently received some of the catalogues which are filled with good tid bits. I never realized there were so many kinds of apples available to plant in the US. Dave

/ Planting some trees..fruit trees #15  
The original semi-dwarf fruit trees we planted in our orchard 9 years ago we spaced 20 feet apart. We protected the trunks by making a slit in a one foot long piece of left over black plastic field tile and stretching it over the trunk. This kept the rabbits away and prevented any damage from the string trimmer.
We planted these in the spring and kept them watered well the first summer.
Most of the trees we have are apple varieties and produce well. We press cider from the "extra" apples each fall.
Mike

/ Planting some trees..fruit trees #16  
I grew up on a farm with apple orchards and vineyards. On my current homestead, I've planted nearly 500 trees (hardwoods, spruces, etc.) over the past 3 years (my legacy /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif). When I was a younger guy on the parents place, we would plant almost every year... There are a number of ways to do this. When we first started, we used to dig holes with a PHD... these were all dwarf varieties about 20 feet apart in rows around 20 feet apart (much of this depends upon your variety of tree and as indicated earlier, your mowing requirements). These days, I use a PHD when appropriate (if the 12 " auger is the right diameter depending on the tree's root ball).

Soil. Where I grew up, the soil was very porous... Today, I plant my trees with a special soil mix I make up to compensate for the hard pan where I currently live. I also find that mounding is most appropriate as the roots will rot with many varieties if allow ed to sit in the water. The special soil mix contains a great deal of sand and peat to cope with both the sitting water and the dry spells... Mounding is critical w/hard pan (raised bed).

Hole. the key (as indicated earlier) is to dig a hole which is at least 2 to 3 times as wide as the root ball. If you're getting those trees from the Soil and Water conservation for a dollar each and they don't have root balls, your PHD will do. These days, I use a PHD when appropriate (if the 12 " auger is the right diameter depending on the tree's root ball). Commercial operations (like when I was a kid) use a special tree planter that hangs off the back of the tractor. It digs the trench while someone sits on the rig and puts a tree in and buries the roots right after you put the tree in... It's really neat to see in action and fun to do (relative to the other methods).

Timing: I agree with the other comments on spring or fall. Fall is good for strong root growth. Spring feels right but my experience has shown me that tends to be chancier.... Keep in mind that the roots will continue to grow on the tree until the ground freezes (slower and slower but that's the deal).

Watering. First year is critical.... a thorough watering ONCE a week will suffice.. .any less will kill... more may be too much.

Theres so much more to know and different things work fine but hope this helps. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Planting some trees..fruit trees #17  
Do you guys spray your trees or fertilize in any way ? My property is about 5 hours north of me. My plan is to buy root stock and grow them larger in the yard and then trans plant them later. I want to line my road with apple trees for the grouse, deer and bear. It would be nice if there were a few left for a pie /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Dave

/ Planting some trees..fruit trees #18  
Good information Eagle Eye.
Any thoughts or suggestions on the "antique" apple varieties. We are thinking of planting them this fall probably mid October.
We used a post hole digger when we planted our first trees years ago. We dug the holes twice as deep as we needed and used a spade to widen the hole and just let the extra dirt fall into the hole.(thought being it would provide some loose dirt for the tap root). This seemed to work well.
Mike

/ Planting some trees..fruit trees #19  
When I was younger, I was a licensed pesticide applicator (had my own groundskeeping business as well). My older brother was the guy who applied the commercial pesticides (not available to unlicensed folks) to the trees. In NY, you get different specialties when it comes to pesticide licenses (my was ornamentals and christmas trees /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif)... Sorry to say that I don't know what he applied.

However, these days, I use Sevin for my fruit trees... (my pesticide license has long since expired - gave up the great outdoors for working as a programmer and subsequent manager at IBM). I find that it is a good all round pesticide..... I used to be an organic gardener and I would usually push diatamaceous earth (it's like artillary for an insects exo-skeleton) but these days, I cave to the easy approach.

/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Planting some trees..fruit trees #20  
Haven't had much experience w/the antique apple trees BUT I grew up next to another, larger, apple orchard that had a number of those tree varieties (Indian Ladder in Albany New York). I would think most things would be the same except they need much more room around them.

My brother has been the foreman there for 25 years.

I'll ask about it some time and try to remember to put a post out here some time.

And for those who may have wondered why I went from working the farm to working in the computer business (extremes), I caved and did it for the money. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif With 2 brothers and a relatively small operation, I wasn't going to make much of a living in that business.