Underground elictric to Pole barn

/ Underground elictric to Pole barn #1  

johnk

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota GST Grand L3130 w/ 723 loader, Ags
I am running underground 2x2x2x4 al underground cable 85 ft from my cabin to my pole barn. I am going to come out of my panel in cabin with 60 amp breaker and go to sub panel in pole barn to a 50amp breaker. I will be using a separate ground bar in the sub panel to separate neutral and ground. Do I need to run 2 ground rods with loop of #4 copper?? Should the metal barn be bonded to the ground? Thanks for your help. Just trying to get all the stuff in before the concrete is poured.

/ Underground elictric to Pole barn #2  
I'm amazed that you haven't had 50 responses yet,, But to answer your questions,, yes to all.. your correct about the rods and the bonding of the steel.. It would be good if you could bond the steel before the concrete is poured ..

/ Underground elictric to Pole barn #3  
Is this a pole barn with wood posts and just building tin, or is this a metal frame building? If just wood posts and tin, no need to bond, but if it has metal beams than yes, it must be bonded....

/ Underground elictric to Pole barn
It has wood posts and just the building tin. See pic as why I am confused. Every electrician tells me something different. Thanks again for your inputs...........

Attachments

• photo.PNG
    photo.PNG
    224.7 KB · Views: 188
   / Underground elictric to Pole barn #5  
The wire size is fine. Separating the ground and neutral is required, as are two ground rods spaced at least 6 feet apart. It sure would be a good idea to bond the metal to the grounding electrode system.

/ Underground elictric to Pole barn #6  
In wisconsin, you need 4 wires ran back to house main panel, 2 hots, 1 neutral, and 1 ground wire. You must install ground rods at shed. A ground bar kit must be installed, neutrals and grounds must be separated at all sub panels. No need to bond shed tin to service, it is considered siding, you wouldn't bond your house siding now would you? You can bond it if you wish, not sure why, or how to get a good connection, but you can try....

/ Underground elictric to Pole barn
I have 2 ground rods 6 ft apart at the cabin. I have the separate buss at the sub panel and that is where I am getting different opinions of running ground rods off of this also.

/ Underground elictric to Pole barn #8  
You for sure need two ground rods at the pole shed, I know this is in the national electrical code. Unless your state exempts this you need it. Contact a local or state inspector....

/ Underground elictric to Pole barn #9  
Should the metal barn be bonded to the ground?

Sorry I thought you meant you were putting up a steel building,, No don't try to bond the metal siding or roof,,, Unless you are going with a lighting arrester system and that is a whole different ball game,,

If you have any questions look up article 250.32 in the nec code book...