Need advice for land clearing 70+ acres of timbered land

/ Need advice for land clearing 70+ acres of timbered land #41  
Have you priced out a mulcher head lately? Probably cost more than the land cost. A 200 size excavator with a thumb and maybe a root rake could put it in nice piles for burning and dig up the stumps and shake most of the dirt off them. A good operator could make it look like a park! Some guys actually have burning sloops that use a fan to burn brush faster. They could also dig a hole and bury it. A couple excavators cleaned up after a big forest fire that went through my property. I didn't get the worst of it but the excavators did an incredible job cleaning up in other areas that were harder hit.

/ Need advice for land clearing 70+ acres of timbered land #42  
I'm going to try to attach a few photos of my land before, during, and after clearing with a big Hilift and bigger excavator with a thumb:

DSCN0472.jpgIMG_0106.jpgIMG_0269.jpg

mkane09

/ Need advice for land clearing 70+ acres of timbered land #43  
I'm going to try to attach a few photos of my land before, during, and after clearing with a big Hilift and bigger excavator with a thumb:

View attachment 324857View attachment 324858View attachment 324859

The operator on the HiLift knocked down trees, root ball and all, and pushed them toward the excavator. The operator of the excavator kept the fire fed with whole trees. Most of the clearing was done in a few days.

mkane09

/ Need advice for land clearing 70+ acres of timbered land #44  
I referred earlier in this thread to an air curtain destructor (think giant wood stove). Here is a forest service link that discusses the advantages at length.

http://www.fs.fed.us/eng/pubs/html/05511303/05511303.html

I have seen "job site created units" - dig a trench, set a industrial blower fan in one end / and the factory built trailer sized units.

These burners can almost burn wood faster than you can load it. Stumps - no problem. Little to no smoke. Amazing. Complete burn. No half burnt logs, or singed stumps remain like with your normal let's burn a brush pile - then tend it for hours and hours.

Check out the two different types of commercial units.

http://youtu.be/gce3cPI_1gg

http://youtu.be/mo4K1dM2GH4

/ Need advice for land clearing 70+ acres of timbered land
I wanted to give an update on my situation. 2 days ago I rented a Bobcat T870 with a Forestry Cutter for week to see how it would do with my predicament. I'm happy to say it is working incredibly great! :) Everything is made easy. Stumps are gone in literally an instant (remember they've been rotting for 2+ years), logs take some time to chew up sometimes, but it's very doable. Undergrowth is a joke. I can literally go full speed, just mowing down all the stuff. Of course, I have to go back over it a couple of times to totally get rid of it and create a nice trail, but it's still super fast.

Brush piles are a different story though. It can chew through them, but its going to take quite a bit of time, and I'm not going to waste my week on messing with them. So they will have to wait until I purchase my own (which I am definitely going to do for sure now). And using a root grapple and a burn pile still might be the best option for them.

But I wanted to say thanks to everyone for your suggestions and advice. I know digging up stumps and burning them is the tried and true method, but seriously guys. There's some new tech out there now that makes that job a lot easier. I will agree though, if you are going to build a road or lay a foundation or something, it will probably be best to dig them up and fill in the holes. But for trails and just simple clearing, this is the ticket! :)

/ Need advice for land clearing 70+ acres of timbered land #46  
A few years back, I checked into the local Bobcat dealer. They wanted $2000/week to rent a CTL with a forestry cutter. IDK what the current price is around here.

/ Need advice for land clearing 70+ acres of timbered land
A few years back, I checked into the local Bobcat dealer. They wanted $2000/week to rent a CTL with a forestry cutter. IDK what the current price is around here.

It was 3200/week plus a few hundred for delivery and pickup since I don't have a way to transport it yet. So, the way I figure it, I'll put more than 40 hours on it in 7 days, and that comes to less than 100/hour. I work from home so I can devote a lot of time to it, and I am eager to learn the machine. It's a ton of fun! :) And this way I can see how well it works for the job I need, before I actually plop down 100k+ on one. I feel it's an incredible bargain. :)

Some friends have asked me why I don't just rent it instead of actually buying one. My reply to them was that once I buy one, I can take my time, and relax. With the different attachments I intend to purchase, I can do a whole ton of stuff with it that I can't at this point with just the mulcher. And who knows what the future might hold, I might end up doing odd jobs for people on the side with it as well.

Oh, it was the only forestry mulcher I could find anywhere close by at all for rent. I had to wait 2 months for it to become available, and apparently it's booked up with a few more customers after me. At 1500+ hours it still seems to be running strong. :)

/ Need advice for land clearing 70+ acres of timbered land #48  

Heck that's not too bad as far as rentals go. My son had a big pine tree next to his house the was struck by lightning and needed to be cut down. He hinted to me about cutting it down for him and I kept putting him off until I looked at it. It had gotten very dangerous and I knew then I was going to have to help him. A local tree company wanted $4500.00 just cut it down and another $1200.00 to take away the wood and brush. I didn't want to have to climb it and take it down in pieces because at 66 years old I thought I had gotten much smarter but when we went to the local rental place to check on a bucket lift for the day I about fell out on the floor when he told up $950.00 for a half day and another $150.00 for pickup and delivery.

I couldn't help him with the money so with that I went home got my gear and went back over there and at about noon I was standing at the stump of this 75+ foot pine tree. I looked every way imaginable for some way to lay the whole thing down without having to climb it but there was no way to let it fall that would not tear up either his or his neighbors property. My 24' ladder would not get me to the first limb and even sitting the ladder in the back of his pickup it was almost 10' short so I had to throw a line over the limb and pull myself up from there.

Once on the first limb it was still a hard climb but not as bad as I thought it was going to be. At this point I was almost half way to the top and the further up I got the closer the limbs were together easier it was to get around. once I got to within 25' of the very top I dropped my hand line so he could pull my saw up to me and I started cutting limbs off. The tree was straight as an arrow and the limbs were of equal size all the way around and my plan was to cut the heavier limbs off one side so the weight of the limbs on the other side would help guide the tree top into the tiny little spot it had to go on the ground to keep from smashing the neighbors small bushes she had planted along her property line.

As I worked my way to where I was going to start cutting limbs I saw the spot where the lightning had gone into the tree and it had blown over half of the wood away and there was very little left holding the top and keeping it from falling. It was just to dangerous to go any higher so I yelled to my son that we were going to probably have to buy the neighbor a few new bushes because I was going to have to cut out a bigger piece than I thought. She and a couple other neighbors were standing close by and she heard me yell to him and told him that would be ok just tell that old fool not to fall out of that tree because that would probably make more mess than the tree top would and laughed.LOL

I cut all the limbs off one side as I climbed back down and got to a point where there was one big heavy limb reaching out in almost the same direction the top needed to go and decided to cut it off a couple feet below that point. I notched a little chunk out of the downhill side and got in position to start making the final cut. The wind had been blowing pretty good all day but by now it was almost dark and it had been calm for the past hour but wouldn't you know it just as I had started cutting and had gotten to the point to where the weight started to pull the top in the direction it was supposed to go the wind started to rock the top and for a moment I thought it was going to pop off in the opposite direction but wood held and as I felt the weight of the limbs on the other side start to pull it back in that direction I threw the cold to my old Stihl saw and the top jumped off the top of that stump like it was spring loaded.

The whole top cleared that line of bushes by almost 10'. Of-course it wasn't in the plan for the top to land in the neighbors yard but rather come to rest right at the base of the tree or about because that line of bushes was 25' from the base of the tree and I figured it would be close but doable in getting the 10' top to land without tearing up too much. As it ended up the top landed 10' on the other side of the bushes not touching any of them. I'm just glad her little shed wasn't 10 foot closer than it was because she would have gotten a new shed out of the deal along with what was in it.LOL

By now it was dark but I didn't want to come down until I had gotten it cut off enough low enough to where I could lay it down in one piece without tearing up anything else. I cut out sections of about two or three feet on my way down cutting limbs as I came down and when I got to 50' I made my last cut and headed down for the night thinking I would go back the next day and lay it down and cut it up the rest. The trip down was a lot faster and easier than the trip up, almost fun even as I used a line to hop and skip down the side of the tree in small bunny hops. There was a time I would have thrown a line over to the next tree and done a Tarzan swing out of the tree with the chain saw in one hand cutting limbs as I passed by. LOL

Did I say I was going the next day to cut up the rest of the tree and haul it off? Well it didn't work out that way exactly. When I crawled my poor old sorry azz out of the bed the next morning everything I had was hurting, I had cuts and scratches on me in places I never thought you could scratch, even my eyes hurt. I had more sawdust in my eyes and ears than there was on my clothes I had taken off at the door. I called in a rain check the next morning and maybe I'll be healed up enough in about a week to finish up the job. I thought I was in pretty good shape and it's hard to believe that doing something like climb a little tree could make you hurt that bad.

Now back to the regular scheduled program.

/ Need advice for land clearing 70+ acres of timbered land #49  
Heck that's not too bad as far as rentals go. My son had a big pine tree next to his house the was struck by lightning and needed to be cut down. He hinted to me about cutting it down for him and I kept putting him off until I looked at it. It had gotten very dangerous and I knew then I was going to have to help him. A local tree company wanted $4500.00 just cut it down and another $1200.00 to take away the wood and brush. I didn't want to have to climb it and take it down in pieces because at 66 years old I thought I had gotten much smarter but when we went to the local rental place to check on a bucket lift for the day I about fell out on the floor when he told up $950.00 for a half day and another $150.00 for pickup and delivery.

I couldn't help him with the money so with that I went home got my gear and went back over there and at about noon I was standing at the stump of this 75+ foot pine tree. I looked every way imaginable for some way to lay the whole thing down without having to climb it but there was no way to let it fall that would not tear up either his or his neighbors property. My 24' ladder would not get me to the first limb and even sitting the ladder in the back of his pickup it was almost 10' short so I had to throw a line over the limb and pull myself up from there.

Once on the first limb it was still a hard climb but not as bad as I thought it was going to be. At this point I was almost half way to the top and the further up I got the closer the limbs were together easier it was to get around. once I got to within 25' of the very top I dropped my hand line so he could pull my saw up to me and I started cutting limbs off. The tree was straight as an arrow and the limbs were of equal size all the way around and my plan was to cut the heavier limbs off one side so the weight of the limbs on the other side would help guide the tree top into the tiny little spot it had to go on the ground to keep from smashing the neighbors small bushes she had planted along her property line.

As I worked my way to where I was going to start cutting limbs I saw the spot where the lightning had gone into the tree and it had blown over half of the wood away and there was very little left holding the top and keeping it from falling. It was just to dangerous to go any higher so I yelled to my son that we were going to probably have to buy the neighbor a few new bushes because I was going to have to cut out a bigger piece than I thought. She and a couple other neighbors were standing close by and she heard me yell to him and told him that would be ok just tell that old fool not to fall out of that tree because that would probably make more mess than the tree top would and laughed.LOL

I cut all the limbs off one side as I climbed back down and got to a point where there was one big heavy limb reaching out in almost the same direction the top needed to go and decided to cut it off a couple feet below that point. I notched a little chunk out of the downhill side and got in position to start making the final cut. The wind had been blowing pretty good all day but by now it was almost dark and it had been calm for the past hour but wouldn't you know it just as I had started cutting and had gotten to the point to where the weight started to pull the top in the direction it was supposed to go the wind started to rock the top and for a moment I thought it was going to pop off in the opposite direction but wood held and as I felt the weight of the limbs on the other side start to pull it back in that direction I threw the cold to my old Stihl saw and the top jumped off the top of that stump like it was spring loaded.

The whole top cleared that line of bushes by almost 10'. Of-course it wasn't in the plan for the top to land in the neighbors yard but rather come to rest right at the base of the tree or about because that line of bushes was 25' from the base of the tree and I figured it would be close but doable in getting the 10' top to land without tearing up too much. As it ended up the top landed 10' on the other side of the bushes not touching any of them. I'm just glad her little shed wasn't 10 foot closer than it was because she would have gotten a new shed out of the deal along with what was in it.LOL

By now it was dark but I didn't want to come down until I had gotten it cut off enough low enough to where I could lay it down in one piece without tearing up anything else. I cut out sections of about two or three feet on my way down cutting limbs as I came down and when I got to 50' I made my last cut and headed down for the night thinking I would go back the next day and lay it down and cut it up the rest. The trip down was a lot faster and easier than the trip up, almost fun even as I used a line to hop and skip down the side of the tree in small bunny hops. There was a time I would have thrown a line over to the next tree and done a Tarzan swing out of the tree with the chain saw in one hand cutting limbs as I passed by. LOL

Did I say I was going the next day to cut up the rest of the tree and haul it off? Well it didn't work out that way exactly. When I crawled my poor old sorry azz out of the bed the next morning everything I had was hurting, I had cuts and scratches on me in places I never thought you could scratch, even my eyes hurt. I had more sawdust in my eyes and ears than there was on my clothes I had taken off at the door. I called in a rain check the next morning and maybe I'll be healed up enough in about a week to finish up the job. I thought I was in pretty good shape and it's hard to believe that doing something like climb a little tree could make you hurt that bad.

Your probably sore in places you had long forgotten about. :) Glad your safe.

/ Need advice for land clearing 70+ acres of timbered land #50  
----------------------------------------------------

Very interesting, thanks for posting. I was tired and hurting after reading about it! :D