Property line trail/ track

/ Property line trail/ track #1  

NS Gearhead

Veteran Member
Tractor
Deere X350
So this all started when I bought my house lot. We have a fraction over 4 acres. One of the four property lines was cleared relatively well... the others not so much.

I decided that being a responsible homeowner, I should clear these lines.

Then being the offroad enthousiast that I am, I thougth; "why not clear it wide enougth to get the Jeep through?"

Then I thought; "I'll get bored with this... I should make a nice walking/ bikeing/ go-kart/ mini bike trail.

So I took two and a half years and built a dump trailer in order to fill in low spots and gravel the trail. In the mean time I've logged 27 hours on a gas powered jackhammer busting out rock outcrops. My theory is simply that knocking down high spots and using that material to fill in low spots is an efficient use of time and energy vrs raising low spots above the high spots. I've also had three tandem loads of clay brought in and spread at the ends of the trail. I've also ripped out over a dozen stumps. So far I've only spread two loads with my little trailer... but plan to kick it into high gear once summer vacations are over.

Anyway, enough rambling... here are some vids and pics.

The trail (I hope to get a non-snow one soon)
Trail/ track March 2013 - YouTube

The trailer
V8 TJ dumping trailer - YouTube

Moving roots to break rock
Felling a tree with Jeep's winch - YouTube

Breaking rock
1b - YouTube

before

after

before
\
after

before

after

before

after

That's it for now. I have to build a bridge over the brook... but the budget didn't allow for it this year. Hopefully next year, and I'll be able to take the jeep all the way around and start spreading gravel!

Oh, and this is an extremely long term project. This is year three, and I hope to have it done by year 5 or 6. However, my three year old daughter loves walking the "twail" and has a pet squirel names Nemo that we regularly take walks to go feed him peanuts. Makes the effort worth is. : )

/ Property line trail/ track #2  
That looks like a really long trail for 4.5 acres. You're doing some great work, and I don't envy you and the friendship you've developed with that jack hammer! :) The time you spend walking the trails with your daughter will be remembered forever!

/ Property line trail/ track #3  
Fantastic project! There's something to be said about bringing in big equipment to get the job done 'faster', but this shows that a long term plan shared with family members can be just as, if not more, fun. This shows it's about the journey for you, not just the destination. Good luck and enjoy. It's nice work!

/ Property line trail/ track
Thanks guys! It is a labor or love. I've never been one to sit around and be bored. I always have to be picking away at something... not to mention I love being outdoors. The jackhammer work should be over though! LOL

Here's a section of trail that was very off camber... so I had this 16" pople that I put in place with the jeep.

Standing to the right of the log, the top of it comes up to my groin (I'm 6') to give you an idea how much it's off level over the 8' width.

That looks like a really long trail for 4.5 acres.

By my research, 4 acres should be 1600' around. I guess it looks long because their are no real straight lines. It's always up, down, side to side. That's why it'll be a fun go kart track ; )

Here I took the trailer for a ride just to see if it would follow the jeep. I can drive one property line and come out on another street withought going through the brook.
\

/ Property line trail/ track #6  
Looks like you have some great property there. I like the jeep and your trailer.

On the tilt for the trailer, I would get an electric winch and have a mast with a pully on top. Have it pivot at the base, it would work like your jack does.

Keep the pics and video's coming.

Dave

/ Property line trail/ track #7  
Wow, lot's of work! But it's slowly getting there, and looks like it's going to be a REALLY fun track.

Keep us updated, it's going to be a neat project to follow.

/ Property line trail/ track #8  
By my research, 4 acres should be 1600' around. I guess it looks long because their are no real straight lines. It's always up, down, side to side. That's why it'll be a fun go kart track ; )
Guess that's why it seems long, such a rough trail. I'm just comparing to the 3.1 acres my house sits on, and it seems like a lot more than 1.5 times as much. Of course, ours is straight and flat.

And, actually, for 4.5 acres, if it's perfectly square, it's 1697' around. :)

Here I took the trailer for a ride just to see if it would follow the jeep.

Looks like it's fun with the Jeep as-is! :)

Here we are on our way to feed Nemo this passed winter

That pople I used as a retaining wall

Here's how I pulled a couple of stumps I couldn't get the jeep close to (because of the brook)

Worked pretty good. One I had to keep cutting roots as I lifted, but at least it helped me find them and keep my saw out of the rocks.