Run off from pond/road tile....

/ Run off from pond/road tile.... #1  

ATP

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 3038e and LS K 5047
Anyone have a picture of how you manage overflow of the pond water coming thru a tile to a hillside(dam)....?

We put in the tile to stop the pond overflowing over the drive across the dam.... now, I need some serious water management on the downspout side...it is rutting the dam bank....

IMG_1017.JPG

/ Run off from pond/road tile.... #2  
Best to extend the pipe down the dam and to a proper outlet at a lesser grade. You do not have any head pressure on the pipe for it to run full since it is so close to the top of the dam. More info on when and how the pond was constructed would be helpful. Doesn't look like it was designed properly.

/ Run off from pond/road tile.... #3  
You need to dissipate the energy from the flow. How you do that is up to you, but gravity+water=serious power. The two most common ways of doing this are with riprap or larger stone in a depression down the slope to direct the water. The other way would be to continue the pipe down the slope and run into an energy dissipator at the toe of the slope.

Now my concern would be the culvert. Thats going to seriously limit your overflow capacity. I would suggest redesigning it for a spillway depending on how large your pond is. Just my 2 cents

/ Run off from pond/road tile.... #4  
Most likely cheapest and most effective way is to pour a nice concrete trough to take the water down the dam. It would make a nice sled run in winter too lol. The Rip Rap is OK too BUT leaves the "dam earth WET" underneath it and not good for a earthen dam :(. Other methods are to pipe it with some plastic culvert all way to bottom and out far enough to keep the dam dry. it would not have to be buried but would make "dam grass management" easier. :D

Now you can check and see if there are any "DAM MANAGEMENT" classes at the local ag/DNR extension too ;) :p
Mark

/ Run off from pond/road tile....
The pond is small.... just wider than the picture and extends to the trees in the back ground...
The tile did good.... we got 5 inches of rain in 8 hours about a month ago... and it did not overrun the levy(road)....the 12 inch pipe held it... but man.... cut a gash in that bank....

has anyone seen a rubber mat that goes down under the rip rap... that keeps the bank dry and helps funnel the water to bottom,

thanks for replies...:)