Driveway Project

/ Driveway Project #1  

dhvd79a

I have about 240 Ft of gravel driveway. I want to rebuild it The sketch will give you idea how it looks. The driveway will be rebuilt using some type of gravel. I have a few ideas from reading posts but didn't find exactly what I needed.

I would like to completly dig it out and shift the arc a few feet towards the road.

The driveway was originally bordered by about 8 inch timbers, probably old RR ties. These are almost completely rotted.

So a series of quetions:

1: what piece of equipment to rent to do this.

2: what to use to border the driveway

3: What would make the best base for the driveway.

4: What would make the best surface.

Thanks for any sugesstions you may have.

Dave

Attachments

• 311104-drive.bmp
    28.1 KB · Views: 444
   / Driveway Project #2  
I'll stay out of #s 1 & 2, but

<font color="blue"> 3: What would make the best base for the driveway.

4: What would make the best surface. </font>

A lot depends on what's available in your area. Around here, we use to be able to get slag from the steel mills dirt cheap. Made excellent base and surface. As for the best surface, I'm always fond of concrete, 2nd choice asphalt, 3rd is slag, followed by crushed rock. There are many items that others have used. These are just my favorites.

Perhaps you can post some information as to the soil types and location you are in, to give local people with experience something to go by. Good luck in your project. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Driveway Project #3  
Look for the latest issue of Progressive Farmer Magazine, it has an article about gravel roads.

I'd leave the old base in place, you probably just need to top dress it. Ask the local highway crews what they use for base material. They might even know of the best place to get it. Price around the delivery drivers. Prices vary here several dollers per ton and a hundred tons doesn't go very far.

I disagree with using slag. It doesn't compact and is always shifting. It's cheap, but I haven't found a good use for it yet.

/ Driveway Project #4  
I suggest using crushed road base for a base and renting a loader boxblade from somewhere like RSC rentals. All of my subcontractors rent from there. Ask for a Case 570 LXT. RR ties would make a good border